questions about ropefish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jakedc3

AC Members
May 17, 2010
arvada, co
BFM, i have been looking for a 75 to replace the tank with, but havent found one at the right price. thanks for the advice.

jakedc3

AC Members
May 17, 2010
arvada, co
i found a 75 gallon set up for 60 bucks. so ive replaced the 55, with the same set up of fish as above, only i removed one angel due to nasty fights, and i added a dwarf frog and a small pleco.
still would like to add ropefish, two of them, probably smaller ones. would they be ok?

ive started planting live plants in there too, thats not a problem for ropefish right?

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
I dont know your location but it goes for around $5 locally.

For $25, I would look into other bicchirs or other types of fish. Is you tank tighly covered?

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
I don't know much about the ropefish since I don't see myself ever having the right setup for one, but I believe they are more or less omnivorous but poor hunters. I'm a little worried about the frog. I believe they are both poor eyesighted and mostly rely on smell to find their food. I don't know if the ropefish would consider the frog a snack or not.

Also, there is the issue of tank height. ADFs require air, so they must make a quick trip to the surface for breath. However, they're like little kids sometimes, they wait until the last second to go for it. I've read in some places that tanks containing ADFs shouldn't be much more than a foot in height since it could cause undue stress on an ADF to swim that far for air.

Of course, that may all be bull-puckey. I imagine they probably live deeper than that in the wild, but maybe not. You might observe the ADF in your new setup to see how he handles the height issue, unless the new and old tanks are of similar height. If he does well, and the ropefish are a good fit as tankmate, I'd consider getting a few more of the frogs to go with your ropefish. It would be a really neat tank to watch.

jakedc3

AC Members
May 17, 2010
arvada, co
i've heard teh same thing, but then i've heard of people keeping them together no problem. i guess its sort of hit or miss, and ill have to play it by ear.
as for the tank hieght, i have ADFs in a 55, which is barely shorter than a 75, and they do fine, so i can't imagine two more inches is going to kill the frog.

i agree about the tank's overall turnouit in the end, if it all works out, that'd be cool.

thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store