Quick cycle question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Davidl

AC Members
Oct 19, 2004
I am on a tight budget so my tank is going a bit slow , so farI have water , sand and some base rock.. an aquaclear 402 and a penguin 400 filter. The water seems ok and clear finally so I was going to do that shrimp cycling thing.

Does it matter that I don't have a heater in there yet, when it comes to doing the fishless cycling?

Davidl

AC Members
Oct 19, 2004
When is the cycle done?

My ammonia and nitrites are down to 0 and my nitrates are at about 40ppm or so. at what point is the cycle done? I don't want to plop animals in there until it's safe for them. I read someplace about doing a water change to lower the nitrats and another thread said they would go away.. my sandbed is about 1-1 1/2 inches deep so I do'nt know if that is enough to act as a filter.. my tank is a 46g bowfront.

Last edited:

VDub90

AC Members
Oct 23, 2004
Nanaimo, BC
How long has the tank been set up? Have you put the shrimp in yet? I don't think you can get an ammonia or nitrite spike unless you put something in the water first.

Davidl

AC Members
Oct 19, 2004
I did the fishless cycle, its in it's third week, the ammonia and nitrates went up and then down (over the 3 weeks) I am just wondering about the nitrates.. do they go away also, or do I need to do a water change at this point?

chunksofpoooo

sloth loves chunk
Sep 16, 2004
Los Angeles, California
do a water change to lower nitrates

TinaFishGirl

Trigger Lover
Nov 12, 2004
Gig Harbor, WA
Davidl said:
I did the fishless cycle, its in it's third week, the ammonia and nitrates went up and then down (over the 3 weeks) I am just wondering about the nitrates.. do they go away also, or do I need to do a water change at this point?
Everything will read 0 accross the board, then your nitrates will climb again. That's when you do your water chamges. If you don't have enoughLR or LS then your nitrates may stay.

Davidl

AC Members
Oct 19, 2004
I keep reading about brown algae growth, I never had any algae growth, is this a sign that I did this cycle thing wrong? I hope not, 3 weeks is along time .. I want to get some critters in there (cleanup crew of some sort) and maybe some small fish..

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
The lack of brown algae is not a problem--in fact, it's more a blessing. While small algae blooms are part and parcel of a tank, they are not a requirement. I've never had one in any of my FW tanks, and only a few small ones in the SW tanks--just depends on silicate availability and nutrient loads. Without silica that's bio-available, brown algae can't grow. Of course, brown algae isn't the only thing that uses silica, so you may have problems supporting sponges and some corals--but that's down the line a ways.

superstein61

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Quick, related question:

I have a 72 Gal FW tank and am thinking about starting a small nano SW tank - probably 12 gallons. I fishless cycled my FW tank using Ammonia (your basic bottle from the grocery store ). Can I do the same with SW or do I have to toss in the old cocktail shrimp instead?

Seems to me that in setting up FW - my ammonia from a bottle worked quite well.

Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store