quick plant question.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

captaincaveman9

Innocent and Pure!
Oct 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Steve
full tank shot

Floating plant cover
That looks like duck weed not what you said it was.. and that really would make things difficult for any plants under it

KevG

AC Members
Jul 8, 2010
Mtl.Qc.Ca
I only have pennywort to worry about... that looks like duckweed or the like.
You will have to scoop that type of plant pretty much daily in an aquarium. In a pond the natural conditions make for a different game plan.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
There is duck weed mixed in
Here's a close up of the Salvina Minima (sp?)

KevG

AC Members
Jul 8, 2010
Mtl.Qc.Ca
ya you can't expect good plant growth under a canopy like that.
You either need to trim it back alot (like daily or more) to get any sufficient amount of light to your other plants or stick to very low light need plants below that cover.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
salvinia minima has 2 green leaves and 1 that is brown. You have duckweed
They turn brown, I thought that meant it was dead so I scooped it out.
I was told it was Salvinia minima, I got it for free so i'm not too concerned about it

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
You indeed have salvinia minima and duckweed both, the salvinia is the larger of the two.

The top browning pic looks like it was caused by physical damage, the second one is normal for the leaf, color veining, if it looks and feels like the leaf is getting thinner then its a problem, if its still solid then its normal.

An increase in light would help on the 75 and DIY co2 on it is futile. It would take a ton of 2 liter bottles to make it even feasible to work. Look into pressurized.

Iron is not a normal deficiency, I wouldnt worry about dosing it just yet. Work on the light situation.

Your 30 gallon has sufficient light for low to medium low light plants.

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
I also bought some plants for low light and no CO2, the same thing happend.They got thin and brown etc. Now however they are coming back, getting alot of new growth. Even got a baby Val growing in front of momma Val. I also use plant tabs and just got some flourish for the floating plants. So I guess they just have to get acclimated and given a chance to grow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store