Rainbow Cichlid???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ineedabox

Slash
Jan 31, 2005
riiiight here
I have just aquired a baby 'rainbow cichlid.'

Now, I don't really know much about it, some of my friends who have never failed me before assured me it would be alright in my one of my tanks, so it's in. Now it's not very aggressive, but I just want to know about what it will eventually become..lol
Right now it's about 1and 1/2-2 inches, brownish, with colorful fins, and a few bright metallic green spots around it's gills. It's also got a black spot behind the pectoral fin, and one at it's tail. BUT, all the pics I found of the fullgrown fish look absolutely NOTHING like mine...so what's the deal? Does it just change alot?
Can anybody help a bro out?

nativelady76

nativelady76
Nov 29, 2004
minnesota
i have 2 pairs of these fish and they are great mine are about 3 inches and i think thats all the bigger they will get they will have fry like crazy so watch out and have fun they are great fish to watch they always look like they are ready to fight but never do any damage... its funny i think

ineedabox

Slash
Jan 31, 2005
riiiight here
Yeah....well the little bastich just killed a baby oscar that I really liked, so I dont know what's gonna happen here... :mad:

nativelady76

nativelady76
Nov 29, 2004
minnesota
WHAT????
wow thats weird i have had other fish in with mine including convicts and they never did that to them thats strange sorry to hear that

TONO

AC Members
Jan 5, 2005
Are you sure sure the rainbow killed it? Was the oscar going after it?

AikidoGuy

Cichlidiot
Jul 3, 2001
Sparta, New Jersey
ineedabox said:
Yeah....well the little bastich just killed a baby oscar that I really liked, so I dont know what's gonna happen here... :mad:
Rainbow cichlids (Herotilapia multispinosa ) are very peaceful. Not likely it killed the oscar.

To answer your other question. Most juvenile CA,SA, cichlids look nothing like their adult counterparts. Part of the reason why more varieties arent offered at most lfs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store