Raising brine shrimp to adulthood in a bottle

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mr Ironic

AC Members
May 26, 2015
hey guys, so i just started my DIY hatchery and i was wondering if it were possible to raise them to adulthood in the bottle if i just kept the salinity in check, feed them spirnulia algae and did WC every few weeks

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Bottle? Usually if raising to adulthood you would transfer them to a different container, more surface area the better but an air stone can be used in a narrow deep container. May I ask why you want to raise them to adulthood? Purely for size for bigger fish? They have the highest nutritional value when freshly hatched but of course they are too small for some fish.

Mr Ironic

AC Members
May 26, 2015
Bottle? Usually if raising to adulthood you would transfer them to a different container, more surface area the better but an air stone can be used in a narrow deep container. May I ask why you want to raise them to adulthood? Purely for size for bigger fish? They have the highest nutritional value when freshly hatched but of course they are too small for some fish.
well i have alot of spirulina algae powder lying around so i wanted to feed them the algae so that my fish will get even more nutrition and better colour.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Alrighty, interesting concept. I am not sure but I would think you would get better nutrition by directly feeding the fish the powder and the fresh hatched brine instead of letting the shrimp turn the powder into a tiny bit of energy for them to grow and a bunch of waste as they lose their protein value by also using that for energy to grow. Essentially we get the most nutritional value when ingesting our foods in the rawest freshest form. I'd assume fish are the same. :)

Belltrain

AC Members
Nov 11, 2010
Loma Linda, CA
Real Name
Austin
This is a great idea I just don't know if gutloading or freshly hatched would be better. I've gutloaded foods before the fish seem to love them because they are live food, and they promote great color.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
I agree with the container suggestion. I've used rubbermades and five gallon buckets to raise them.

I can tell you that gut loading young and old shrimp alike works. I have been doing it consistently for years. I use anataxathin and spirulina powder as well. You need to wait at least 24 hours to start gut loading.

smitty

AC Members
Jul 8, 2004
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Real Name
Jeffrey Smith
Camera Used
Olympus FE-370; Sony HDR-CX580
henningc if you have a short video of what you are doing please post. I would like to see it.

fishguychris

AC Members
Nov 7, 2010
Can you raise brine shrimp in freshwater ?

Fishtankdude

AC Members
Feb 14, 2016
Alrighty, interesting concept. I am not sure but I would think you would get better nutrition by directly feeding the fish the powder and the fresh hatched brine instead of letting the shrimp turn the powder into a tiny bit of energy for them to grow and a bunch of waste as they lose their protein value by also using that for energy to grow. Essentially we get the most nutritional value when ingesting our foods in the rawest freshest form. I'd assume fish are the same. :)
. In terms of energy pyramid 90% is used by organism and 10% goes to consumer

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store