raising ph

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
So my ridiculously soft tap water is finally causing issues for me. I noticed about a week ago that my 10g was testing 6.0 with an api liquid test kit. This is the lowest the scale goes so it may have been lower. Since then I've added about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of crushed coral and a couple handfuls of aragonite sand that I stole from the cichlid tank. The test is still reading 6.0. I've seen a rise in ph before with less coral than this in my 29g tank so I'm unsure as to whether I'm just not adding enough or not. Anyways, any suggestions to get my ph up quick.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
you should try tuffa rock
I prefer not to make any drastic changes to the hardscape. I'm happy with the way the tank looks as is.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
any reason you want to raise the pH?

most fish we see nowadays have been bred for generations in captivity. they're well adjusted to our water, and will be happier at a stable pH rather than one that is "ideal" at some points but may fluctuate because the water just does not have the buffering capacity.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
The tank is set up to breed CPO's. So apart from trying to provide ideal ph to encourage breeding, I'm also under the impression that while a stable ph is desired lower than 6.0 can be harmful to some fish.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Add some dolomite to your filter.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
I added another large scoop of aragonite sand last night and tested just now 24 hours later. The ph has risen to about 6.6. The kh test seems to turn yellow after 2-3 drops.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
This is the issue I face as well. My well water weighs in at a whopping 5.5. I age the water in 1g jugs with about 1/4 cup crushed coral in them.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
As acidic water dissolves the calcium carbonate from the available source, the hardness of the tankwater increases. As the KH increases there is a concomitant increase in ph. The caveat here is that with each water change of normal tapwater the hardness and ph drop again, and the cycle starts over. This subjects your fish to undesireable fluctuations in water chemistry. If you're going to adjust the hardness and ph of your water, it's best to do so in a holding tank from which you can replace your tankwater during water changes. The water chemistry of the new water matches that of the tankwater and your fish are much less stressed.

Mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store