Rapid LED Onyx

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
This is a great thread. I have been looking to upgrade my mess of an led setup for sometime now.

From your guys' posts, it looks as though there are now several very affordable LED systems out there. Makes me feel like I got robbed lol.

Ive been tempted to snag a taotronics system for my 90 gallon but im not sure how those stack up against any of the ones u guys posted.

Its minor but one thing I dont like about Led is that it seems like its very hard to grow coraline under. What about the leds causes this and can it be remedied?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

The reefbreeders one which is similar to the taotronics gets great reviews. I don't know anything about the effect of LED's and coraline growth yet though.

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
The unit I ordered is a Taotronics unit, just with optics because of the height of the tank it will light.
what are optics? Ive never heard of that before for light systems. And at what height of the tank are they needed

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Optics are lenses which focus the light from the LEDs in a more directional manner. The tank is a 47 column, 20"L x 18"W x 30" tall. I intend to keep a clam very low in the tank to get the best viewing angle on it, so I need to get intense lighting all the way down. If I was only keeping livestock with low to moderate lighting requirements that low in the tank I wouldn't need them.

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Ahh gotcha. The link in your first post wouldnt load for me yesterday but wow that fixture seems insane at that price. How is the rapid fixture greech posted so much more expensive? Is it because of the cree leds they use?

Right now it looks like I want the fixture u posted or the reefbrite squid posted. Any complaints about your fixture so far?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Yup Crees are definitely more efficient, and more expensive. The fixtures like mine that use Bridgelux make up the difference by using more chips. My fixture just arrived today so no complaints so far!

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Yah from what I've seen around on different forums, the Crees seem to be all the rage for LED's. Let us know how that fixture works out for you, hope its up to par for you.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Yah from what I've seen around on different forums, the Crees seem to be all the rage for LED's. Let us know how that fixture works out for you, hope its up to par for you.
Up to par? Good one!

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Lol. Also if I were to get the taotronics fixture you got, do you think I would need 2 for my 92 gallon corner future mixed reef tank? Or would one be enough. I know for a standard rectangular 90 I would definitely get 2 but the corner's dimensions make it a lot more compact.

Benson

Roll Tide!
Apr 8, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
Real Name
Benson Walker
Are you going to build the stand yourself? My wife and I were looking at 120's today at the LFS. It will be sweet to have a 24" wide tank!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store