RCS die off

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
They are pretty cool, but I don't think I want to put any branchlike driftwood into a betta tank. I'll have to think on something else size appropriate for a 10. Maybe some Denison's Barbs. They should be fine in a 10. :screwy:

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
And, $1 each? In the LFS around here, *if* you can find them, they're $5-7.

Pretty sure that's borderline insanity. And I thought a buck something each was a lot?

The same LFS sells ghosties for $0.06/ea.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I usually see ghosties $.10-.33. It's kinda funny how something as simple as zip code can impact pricing. Heck, propane costs about $4/gallon where I'm at, but it's $2.89 by my parents, about 40 miles away. If I can remember, I'll take a tank with me and fill it up over there. I'm not going to make a special trip for it.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Hmm. Maybe. I'll have to think about it. I could also go for a half dozen panda cories, and be very happy. Maybe some ember tetras to go along with the betta. I don't know. May need to seed a sponge filter and put it in the invert tank, and then pull the AC 20 off and put it on the betta tank along with a C2. Decisions, decisions.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
My betta is too rude to have any friends. He's abusive to the snails. I keep threatening to put in one of the giant amano shrimp I have, just to keep him in line...but I suspect he'll nip at it too.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Lol. I want fish that I'm sure will be okay in my 55, just in case the betta I get isn't good with neighbors, either. Time will tell, I guess.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I'm still finding one or two new deaths every other day or so. I've added some driftwood (and another 4 or 5 shrimp that refused to leave the java fern root ball) from my 55 to see if that'll make a difference.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
So, after about a week with the driftwood in the shrimp tank, pH went from about 8.2 to about 7.8, no other changes. Other than continued population decline, that is. I'm wondering if I have something bacterial going on that's killing off the shrimp, making the ramshorns behave weird (they lay on their sides a lot) but the bladder snails completely ignore (they're multiplying and growing visibly larger).

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Calcium levels? Maybe make some snail jello with added calcium and see if that makes a difference. I know it's tough with cherries, but have you noticed them molting? Still could just be residual damage--bladder snails are MUCH hardier than either shrimp or ramshorns when it comes to ammonia exposure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store