Re-using fluorite

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PuppyFluffer

AC Members
Jan 9, 2008
east coast USA
I had a cute little 20 tall planted tank, finally spent the bucks and got a better light and kicked off a terrible algae bloom and really lost my spark for the hobby. I tossed the plants and finished out the natural life of my fish and got out of fish for several years.

I have the bucket of fluorite still and am curious if I should have any concerns with reusing it. I assume I just rinse the heck out of it. Any other concerns? Will the algae lie dormant in it?

Belltrain

AC Members
Nov 11, 2010
Loma Linda, CA
Real Name
Austin
I think aslong as it was totally dry(and I mean bone dry) for a while you should be okay on algae coming back. Atleast I hope, I'm battling algae right now and it is not fun. I think you should be okay after a thorough rinse :).

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
As long as it was not exposed to chemicals, pesticides and such it is perfectly fine to reuse it.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Algae is always present and waiting for conditions favorable to it. Plants that are not nutrient starved usually can outdo algae and that is what makes for an algae free tank. Light is the accelerator pedal so to speak. Add more light and you drive growth faster which uses nutrients up faster. When nutrients get used up there are specific algaes that take advantage of conditions when plants can't grow well because they don't have what they need.

Low phosphorus is often heralded by that hard green spot algae.
Low Nitrate can give blue green algae (cyanobacteria) an advantage since that one can fix nitrogen and doesn't need nitrate in the water to grow.
Each kind of algae has it's parameters where it grows best, but none of them do as well as plants can if they are fed well enough for the lighting level you have.

Reactions: Lady JinglyJones
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store