Rebooting 30g planted tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Emcatfish

AC Members
Sep 22, 2013
Thanks for the encouragement! Growth is looking good so far (except for my gourami eating all of the dwarf baby tears).

I've always had trouble getting water from the sink to the bucket for water changes and the hardware store had a really interesting idea: a pet washer attachment for the sink. I did not even know this type of thing existed but it was cheap and is exactly what I needed.

sink.png

I did have one question. Is it okay for CO2 bubbles to collect on plant leaves? I increased the output yesterday and am just noticing it for the first time. I have a HOB filter and I keep it low to minimize gas exchange so there isn't that much circulation. Here's a pic:

co2.png

Is this unhealthy for the plants?

sink.png co2.png

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
The bubbles are more likely to be oxygen releasing from the leaves, what is termed pearling. If you look very closely, you can sometimes observe this, i.e., the bubble forming and then releasing.

Emcatfish

AC Members
Sep 22, 2013
Update! It's been 3 weeks with ferts, 50% weekly water changes and an 8 hour photo period. I have seen insane growth - I'll soon have to be getting rid of some anacharis. I've just been letting them grow so far. For a week or so I had a lot of cyanobacteria but after scraping it off, adding dwarf water lettuce and letting the stems grown like crazy it has almost completely disappeared.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG

The Ludwigia Peruensis is a gorgeous red color - I was worried that it wouldn't get enough light but most of the stems are doing well. The wisteria is also starting to show signs of immersed growth (it arrived with only emersed leaves) and it has been fun watching the leaves change shape.

I was wondering: what are some good foreground plants? I'd rather have lots of smaller slow-medium plants in the front rather than a traditional carpet. I don't really like the hairgrass and the only other thing I have is Crypt udulata and Anubias nana.

So glad I decided to go high tech though, it's been a lot of fun so far.

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
To answer your question about foreground plants, I love Bylxa Japonca.

It's a shame that more people don't start their plant tanks the way you did - loading up on fast growing stem plants and floaters (if needed) initially to outcompete that initial algae outbreak that happens to us all

That is something I say to Noobs all the time when they ask " any suggestions on my setup"? -- "YES", I tell them "add more plants""

Your tank looks great!! Nicely done!!

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
i hope your proud of it.cuz i would be proud of it if it was my tank.

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
The next challenge is deciding on scape, which admittedly after years I failed to perfect, but your tank already has a nice natural wild style to it. The only concern is as many of your plants make it to the surface some of your plants that become shaded below may suffer, just something to keep an eye on. Also be vigilant when making changes with Co2 things can turn quickly and you want to be available to monitor after changes.

keep up the great work!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store