Red-ear slider setups

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NewLuv4Fish

AC Members
Jun 18, 2005
I've had my turtle for almost a year I think, could be wrong though I'd have to think about it. Its bigger than it was when I got it but definitely no where near dinner plate size, is he growing ok you think? All I have room for is a 55gal, but that is 12in wide, so it would be ok for awhile right?

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
You can do this and it may work out, but this is the reason why you need to do research on your pets before getting them. I still think the 55 is going to be cramped. You will not be able to make a nice setup that way. They need to have double the depth that they are long. so a 9 inch turtle will need a minimum of 18 inches deep of water. But mind you, i have seen fantastic setups with kiddie pools and aquatic turtles. But the width is defiantly more than a 55 gallon.

NewLuv4Fish

AC Members
Jun 18, 2005
I researched beforehand and know how big of a tank it will need, but for now I only have room for a 55. My question is how long will it be able to stay in a 55, like I said it is no where near dinner plate size right now. Compared to what its in now, a 55 won't seem cramped. And I thought the depth of the water had to be twice the width of the turtle not the length of the turtle?

NewLuv4Fish

AC Members
Jun 18, 2005
Normal rule is 10gals per inch of turtle. 55 will do you for now...but why waist money on a 55 when you can get a bigger tank for a lil bit more? 75 is usually just as long as a 55 but wider.

Just because I already have one 55gal. tank with a stand that will hold two 55's. I have no where to put another stand that big. I wouldn't mind being able to use two 55's for fish in the future :)

MomOF_2Turtles

Registered Member
May 28, 2011
Clayton, NC
Real Name
Cynthia
Hello everyone!! I am new to the Turtle world & very excited about it... I know it will be a challenge, but I am totally up for it!! Our tank set up is a 20 gal tank (we have baby turtles only 2 inches in length, as you can see by my picture). We have an AQUEON Quiet Flow 10 filter set up, floating rock, gravel stones, along w/2 lamps: UV & Heat lamp. They are very active, love sun bathing, love a little pet now & then (don't want to handle too much afraid since they are so young, it could harm them).
If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!! WE are having some probs on keeping the water clean, after a week it gets cloudy & little bubbles form... we thought the filtration system w/filter would take care of it b/c it says that it should last 3-4 wks.... so if you have any suggestions please let us know. What do the designs on their bellies mean... boy or girl?? Thx ;)

Last edited:

MomOF_2Turtles

Registered Member
May 28, 2011
Clayton, NC
Real Name
Cynthia
I was told that the wide ring design on their underside of their belly means boy & closeness design means girl; however, after reading... it looks like we won't know until they are mature around 1-3 yrs area... is this true? thx

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
I was told that the wide ring design on their underside of their belly means boy & closeness design means girl; however, after reading... it looks like we won't know until they are mature around 1-3 yrs area... is this true? thx
Females undersides are flat. Males are indented for mating.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Turtles are very messy animals compared to fish. I would recommend a canister filter for your tank. They're one of the best filter choices for keeping turtle water clean. Make sure to use filters that are at least rated for double the volume of water you have.

Hmm...never heard that one before but you are correct in saying that you have to wait a couple of years before you can accurately sex them.

Here's a good care sheet on them that I recommend reading. Good luck with your turtles!
http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/caresheet-red_ear_slider.htm

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store