Red Eyed Tetras

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vanillaXtiffy

AC Members
Nov 28, 2008
Virginia
Real Name
Nilla
remind me of mini piranhas :evil_lol: If you look closely they look very piranha-ish and they have some nasty attitudes! My friend gave me his 4 in January, then in March I moved but missed one of them when I was getting my fish ready to ship. By the time I found him, I had already sent the fish off so I gave him to my neighbor. Fast forward to now, I had a female and two males. The males were tearing each other apart, and biting right in the same spot I've seen piranhas bite each other during mating/dominance type fights: on top of their heads. So now one of them has a scar there :eek:. I bought 4 more today so hopefully that will curb aggression, I'm going to try buying a few every week until I have maybe 15 or so.

Anyone else think they're like little mini piranhas?

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
When I had 5 of them in a 20G, they never had any attitude, and were very very jumpy and scaredy cats as they were always hiding. IDK why. I think they are the complete opposite of mini piranhas, but maybe mine were just scaredy cats, or something was weird. But they kind of do Look like(only look, not the same behavior), piranhas. Did you know that in the wild piranhas are not aggressive at all unless there is blood, I have seen people swim with them(as long as they aren't bleeding), and jeremy wade(river monsters(biologist)) swam in a pool full of them without mishap/injury.

*But redeyes, have creepy eyes especially with lights off.

vanillaXtiffy

AC Members
Nov 28, 2008
Virginia
Real Name
Nilla
When I had 5 of them in a 20G, they never had any attitude, and were very very jumpy and scaredy cats as they were always hiding. IDK why. I think they are the complete opposite of mini piranhas, but maybe mine were just scaredy cats, or something was weird. But they kind of do Look like(only look, not the same behavior), piranhas. Did you know that in the wild piranhas are not aggressive at all unless there is blood, I have seen people swim with them(as long as they aren't bleeding), and jeremy wade(river monsters(biologist)) swam in a pool full of them without mishap/injury.

*But redeyes, have creepy eyes especially with lights off.

Yeah, I've taken care of piranhas before in a naturalistic setting. They're actually kinda wimpy. I wouldn't put it past them to get a few bites in under the right conditions, but their reputation is undeserved, poor guys.

Anyway these tetras are insane. When I feed the tank, they frenzy. They don't bug my pleco or my keyhole cichlid, but amongst themselves they are vicious, and they ate my betta when I first got them. I mean he was old and his time was coming, but still, it was not cool.

freshwaterkid

AC Members
Feb 15, 2007
NYC
I had some tiger barbs real bullies they were chasing all my neon tetra around i felt bad because they took over the tank

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
Yeah, I've taken care of piranhas before in a naturalistic setting. They're actually kinda wimpy. I wouldn't put it past them to get a few bites in under the right conditions, but their reputation is undeserved, poor guys.

Anyway these tetras are insane. When I feed the tank, they frenzy. They don't bug my pleco or my keyhole cichlid, but amongst themselves they are vicious, and they ate my betta when I first got them. I mean he was old and his time was coming, but still, it was not cool.
Sorry for the betta, but why would you ever put a betta with piranhas??? I wouldn't keep the keyhole either, but since your piranhas are fine with it, then it is okay. It is sad that people think that they are blood thirsty monsters! They are pretty much harmless unless you are thrashing around/disturbing water, and bleeding.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Fishboss he was talking about the tetras with his betta. Not pirahnas

smitty

AC Members
Jul 8, 2004
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Real Name
Jeffrey Smith
Camera Used
Olympus FE-370; Sony HDR-CX580
I am quite sure I have seen them before but I can not actually place them. If you can post a photo.

vanillaXtiffy

AC Members
Nov 28, 2008
Virginia
Real Name
Nilla
Sorry for the betta, but why would you ever put a betta with piranhas??? I wouldn't keep the keyhole either, but since your piranhas are fine with it, then it is okay. It is sad that people think that they are blood thirsty monsters! They are pretty much harmless unless you are thrashing around/disturbing water, and bleeding.
They're afraid of the Keyhole, probably because he's so big.
@rneiswander: she* and I think he knows, lol.
@Smitty: I took some pictures yesterday, I'll upload them after work today.

Belltrain

AC Members
Nov 11, 2010
Loma Linda, CA
Real Name
Austin
are you talking about the little ones or the big ones? I have the giant Redeye tetras or Niger Tetras and they are vicious.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store