Red fuzz algae in low light tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RockysDad

AC Members
Dec 27, 2002
Visit site
Help! My low light 10G w/15W bulb is slowly being taken over by this soft fuzzy algae. It all on the rocks, partially on the gravels and starting on the leaf edges. At one time, this tank was very stable then all of a sudden it went wacko and I never go a handle on it since then. It all started went I uprooted my Job stick and didn't notice it till the algae started growing. I've had BG and this red one covering the whole tank at one time, plants, gravel rocks and all. I finally controlled the BG but now stuck with the fuzzy stuff. I can get it down to a minimum but if I don't stay on top of it, bamm, algae city. I'd like to get rid of it completely if possible. What's required to do this or is it possible?

Water changes are once a week with light vaccum and rubbing most of the fuzz off. NO3 at 10ppm. No CO2 or other ferts. I do need a SAE but can't find one. Otos don't eat this stuff. Other then that the fish are happy and the plants are growing fine.

Very fustrating...

Orbitorly

Out in left field...
Brush or red algae can be very difficult to remove manually. It seems to be favoured in tanks with a high pH and carbonate hardness, leading some to speculate that they may be able to utilise bicarbonates as a carbon source. Limiting phosphate and silicate (either by using RO/DI water or specific adsorption resins) should deter this algae. Siamese Algae Eaters (Crossocheilus siamensis) are are often said to be the only common algae eating fish which will tackle this type of algae, although the common plec appears to eat it.

RockysDad

AC Members
Dec 27, 2002
Visit site
I have some phos-sorb lying around somewhere. I think I'll try that and see how it goes. Thanks... Gotta keep looking for some SAE though...

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
If it's BBA(Black Beard or Black Brush Algae) it was probably caused by an imbalance in nutriates when the Jobes stick was left unseen. Does it stick to the plants and other objects to the point where you almost have to uproot a plant to pull it off? If so that's probably what it is.
I just got done with a bout with this stuff. The only thing that worked was a total 4 day blackout including 3 - 50% water changes. Following that I balanced my nutrients and added a higher concentration of CO2. Now it's almost gone. Some people dip their affected plants and other articles in a 19:1 solution of bleach, but I didn't want to get that radical. The blackout worked.
Just getting the visible algae out of the tank doesn't seem to work as the spores are still unseen. You have to allow your plants to out-compete this algae for nutrients in order to do an effective job. SAEs will eat it, but only the fresh stuff. Tom Barr says once it's been on the leaves for a while it's like eating rotten lettuce to the fish.
Len

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I think you are thinking of CAE. (Chinese algae eater as apposed to the Siamese algae eater).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store