Red spot on Betta fin

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Moby2BettaBuddy

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Folsom CA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Randy Henniger
Camera Used
iPhone 6s
I just noticed a small red spot (just one) on my Betta's fin. Water chemicals are good:
NO3-0
NO2-: 0
NH3/4: 0
PH: 7.0
Temp: 78
Weekly 50% water changes and vacuum
Should I be concerned?
Suggestions?
Add aquarium salt?
Add ParaGuard?

IMG_3037.JPG

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Are there any sharp objects or decorations with rough edges? It doesn't look like an infection or anything.

Moby2BettaBuddy

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Folsom CA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Randy Henniger
Camera Used
iPhone 6s
Are there any sharp objects or decorations with rough edges? It doesn't look like an infection or anything.
Thank you for your reply. I have live plants, a betta log and a couple of shells in the tank, but nothing with rough or sharp edges. I'm relieved by your comment that it doesn't look like an infection. Moby2 is not exhibiting signs of stress. He has a voracious appetite, very active and inquisitive. I am planning to add aquarium salt, as my research has found that it can only improve conditions in the tank.

Your thoughts on adding aquarium salt?

Thanks again!
Randy/Folsom, CA

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
I had a white betta years ago that started developing red in his fins. I was feeding him some brine shrimp on occasion, and was wondering if this might be turning him colors. I asked a couple betta breeders about it, and it turns out that he carried the red gene that started manifesting as he got older. He ended up having a distinct pinkish color to his fins.

My guess, it's just a random red spot. I don't see any red veining from it, and it doesn't look like an infection. His fins don't seem to be frayed or torn, and you say his appetite is normal. He looks and sounds perfectly healthy.

Moby2BettaBuddy

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Folsom CA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Randy Henniger
Camera Used
iPhone 6s
I had a white betta years ago that started developing red in his fins. I was feeding him some brine shrimp on occasion, and was wondering if this might be turning him colors. I asked a couple betta breeders about it, and it turns out that he carried the red gene that started manifesting as he got older. He ended up having a distinct pinkish color to his fins.

My guess, it's just a random red spot. I don't see any red veining from it, and it doesn't look like an infection. His fins don't seem to be frayed or torn, and you say his appetite is normal. He looks and sounds perfectly healthy.
Thank you very much for your reply. It puts my fears to rest!

Moby2BettaBuddy

AC Members
May 15, 2016
Folsom CA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Randy Henniger
Camera Used
iPhone 6s

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Mhm, what Michelle said I agree with. I have a female Betta whose fins are going red too. She still perfectly happy though!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store