red terror

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

psychadelicdrea

AC Members
Oct 6, 2004
i have a red terror i bougt about a few months ago.....and i also bought a green terror and they both were babies but the green was only showing a lil bit of green but now hes much larger and more green...but the red isnt showing its red yet....i was wondering how long they take to start showing their color.....only thing i notice is his strips get darker when he gets pissed or when the light gets turned on ....what do u think?

MoJo

AC Members
Sep 2, 1998
Dallas, PA
www.aquamojo.com
Only the female Red Terror gets the dramatic red you see in photo. Both male and female will start showing the red coloration at around 6". What you have to be concerned about is IF you got a Red Terror and not a Uropthalmus. Many more of these are sold as the true Festae. The picture posted on this site that is labled "Festae" is actually a Uropthalmus.

I sent the picture in many years ago and it was mislabled as Festae....and for some reason despite many e-mails to the contrary...never been changed.

Post a picture or send me one and I will let you know either way.

PooCooper

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
Visit site
Reading your post made me wonder after buying a festae a couple days ago if I really got one, this little fella is about 1.5 inch long and mean as fire. I was wondering if Mojo or anyone can tell me if it is a uro or not. Thanks :)

red terror.JPG

MoJo

AC Members
Sep 2, 1998
Dallas, PA
www.aquamojo.com
From the coloration and the size of the "eye spot"...you have a Uropthalmus. The spot is much larger on the peduncle of the Urop. Take a look at the lateral bars at the front of the head. Festae first two large bars will form a "Y".

Large Female

Juvenile Male

Sub Adult Male with Female

Shierkahn

AC Members
Jul 30, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
I would have to agree with mojo. I would say that is a Uro. I've had both before. I only have Uros now because my Festea died of a disease of somekind. But, I can't totally agree on the bars thing, My Uro bars form a Y were my male Festeas' did not. And it's been proven that the "eye spot" is not a for sure way to tell. But I still agree on the ID.

P.S.
Just my opinion
Not intended to cuase this postto become a IQ match

MoJo

AC Members
Sep 2, 1998
Dallas, PA
www.aquamojo.com
Shierkahn said:
And it's been proven that the "eye spot" is not a for sure way to tell. But I still agree on the ID.
I would be curious as to where you got this information. Just curious...not trying to stir the pot. :)

PooCooper

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
Visit site
Thanks for the id guys, still keepin the little uro. Just interested in what he was. Thanx again :)

Shierkahn

AC Members
Jul 30, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
I forget where I read it but, there was a survey type thing (like flashcards) between Festea&Uro juviniles and nobody got them all correct including the top breeders.

psychadelicdrea

AC Members
Oct 6, 2004
lol nice how my thread got turned into someones elses but oh well.....im trying to get a pic of my terror but it hides and the cam isnt very good

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store