Red worms coming out of fish anus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

To3kn33

AC Members
Jul 3, 2010
London
Real Name
Tony
Two days in.... All red worms have disappeared, doing a very large w/c in two days to allow all the worms to die then I will re dose the tank in 2.5 weeks to kill all the remaining worms! This has been the most effective
Med I have ever used!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
I'm so happy the treatment is working for you. But...BLECH..what a gross thing!!!

Lucky fish that you were paying attention and were able to get the right med for them. :clap: I've never seen this is fish and hope I never do...nastiness, but congrats on the so-far-successful treatment.

To3kn33

AC Members
Jul 3, 2010
London
Real Name
Tony
After a few hours it looked like one of my Angels had a feather duster coming out its behind.... It was just a massive amount of worms being passed out!

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Great to hear it's working so quickly! Hopefully they didn't sustain much internal damage by the worms, which can puncture holes in their intestines. I don't know if your med suggests it, but it's worth mentioning that a round of antibacterial or antibiotics after this bout can be helpful.

I found a good magnified pic of the nasty bloodsucking parasite.

nematode.jpg

nematode.jpg

Last edited:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I did a bit of reseach to confirm..Chanaverm..utilizes Levamisole..best used with no lights as levamisle s photreactive and is less efficient with light.

readminister in 2-3 weeks..as it does not kill eggs passed by Camallanus and you may experience reinfection as a result..
secondary infections are a distinct possibility, as mentioned..so keep an eye out for this.
Just an FYI, when it is suspected that there is a parasitic infestation..it is best to treat the main tank and not utilize hospital tanks unless you need to move a fish for another issue..but still treat the main tank.

hang in there

To3kn33

AC Members
Jul 3, 2010
London
Real Name
Tony
I haven't seen a single worm since I used it, going to use it again in a week and a half to get the rest of them. It said it would be affected by UV light but normal aquarium bulbs wouldn't affect it. The stuff is expensive though!!!

MisaHasTheEyes

AC Members
Nov 21, 2008
Anyone know if Prazi-Pro is effective on these worms? I just got some wild caught catfish and while they'll be in QT for a while, best to ask now!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
prazi pro has little to no effect on camillanus.
levamisole , levamisole hcl, panacur, flubendazole, fendbendazole (many of these are derivatives) all have been effective..

To3kn33

AC Members
Jul 3, 2010
London
Real Name
Tony
they have been given the meds twice now and not a worm in sight, got some spare incase this horrible thing ever happens again!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store