Regarding Kribensis

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

erin14

Canadian, Eh?
Aug 7, 2007
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
I have to disagree with them being "highly aggressive" during breeding. I have a breeding pair who are consistently giving me babies and they are really not to bad. They only chase the cories away from their cave when the cories try to get in there to eat their eggs but they do not harass any other fish in the tank ( including gouramis, cories, platies, swordtails, rummies). I realize that every fish has a different personalitly/attitude but i'm just speaking from experience. I think if you give them enough room and don't cramp them in the tank they should be okay. Mine are in my 50g. and are doing fabulous.

As far as sexing them goes, its really quite easy. Males have longer fins in general (anal and dorsal fins) , are considerably more colorful and their tales are spade shaped. They also only get a light pink belly whereas the female gets a really dark pink belly. Females fins are just round and not very long and their tales are just round too. They also have more yellow on their faces then males. Heres a pic of my pair of Kribs. First one is a male and the second is a female. Notice the pink belly on the female and the not as pink and long pointed fins on the male. Normally their wouldn't be a piece missing out the males tail fins like that, his tail was nipped like that when i got him. Same with the female, her fins are kind of ragged in that picture too, she was getting beat up on in the tank she was in before I got her. Its not the best picture of her but you get the idea. :) Hope this helps.

more randoms 011.jpg Kribensis, gourami 009.jpg

nagukush

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
Hi Friends !

I have removed the Angels from my Tank.

I talked to the Fish dealer and he says that I can keep the 6 Kribs that he's sending me in the same tank as these are young fishes. He says that its not possible to sex them now and after they become adults, I can take the breeding pair and remove the rest of the fishes. He says that I can keep this pair in the community setup forever as they'll mind their own business and only drive away fishes that go near the eggs...

My only concern is that I have these really expensive 5 Rope fishes, that I absolutely love and I dont want them to suffer or get injured. They have picked the best hiding spots and live there permanently.

Though these fishes are very large when compared to the kribs, I'm worried that the kribs will harm the rope fishes. Is it possible ? Is there a risk to my ropes ?

Kindly guide me friends... I really dont want to take any chance with my precious ropes...

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Though these fishes are very large when compared to the kribs, I'm worried that the kribs will harm the rope fishes. Is it possible ? Is there a risk to my ropes ?
Kribs are cichlids and like all other cichlids, behavior is typical. They'll defend their territory and fry no matter the situation so there is still the possibility they'll harass the ropefish.

haiau79

AC Members
Mar 4, 2008
wow, those are some sweet looking kribs!! Did you get them at that size and color or did they grow up to be so magnificent?

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
could i keep one pair of kribs in my 35 hex

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
nagukush....I appreciate your enthusiasm for the hobby, but are pushing things to much.

Gain some experience in maintaining a tank over a long term and slowly upgrade and add new tanks and fish. Trying to obtain everything you see/want will just lead to problems.

erin14

Canadian, Eh?
Aug 7, 2007
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
wow, those are some sweet looking kribs!! Did you get them at that size and color or did they grow up to be so magnificent?
When I bought them they were babies and I was lucky enough to end up with a pair...they have grown up in my tank under my care:) Thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store