Removing Hair Algae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

decoy50

AC Members
Nov 10, 2011
I have a large piece of driftwood that I'm moving from an established 30 gallon planted aquarium to a newly setup 75 gallon, the problem is it is covered with hair/beard algae and I don't want to introduce that to my new tank. How would you go about sterilizing the driftwood to kill this algae before it goes to the new tank? Soak in a bucket of bleach & water?

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon

decoy50

AC Members
Nov 10, 2011
Thanks for the info - I had forgotten about using peroxide. Might try that instead of the bleach. It seems safer to me.

RBoydIV

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Is it BBA or Hair algae ? BBA is much harder to get rid of. Rosy barbs worked great getting rid of hair algae for me. More CO2 is the only way I have been able to get rid of BBA.

decoy50

AC Members
Nov 10, 2011
Its hair algae. Its my fault, not much water flow in the tank. I bought apple snails & a bn pleco to try and knock it back, but they won't touch it. Haha should have done more research first I guess. Good to know about Rosy barbs.

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Thanks for the info - I had forgotten about using peroxide. Might try that instead of the bleach. It seems safer to me.
Very happy to help. I've been begging help on here for like a week so I'm glad I'm able to start giving back a bit XD

RBoydIV

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Yeah i had a bad break out of it. Had 12 amano shrimp and they would not touch it put two rosy barbs and it was all gone within a week and hasnt been back. But now i have two fat rosy barbs I didnt plan on, ohh well

decoy50

AC Members
Nov 10, 2011
I had a breakout in a 60 gal, bought a flying fox and he cleaned it right up. Now I have a huge flying fox in a fully planted tank = completely uncatchable fish. I'm trying to avaoid a similiar situation haha

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store