Rena XP2 or Fluval 304

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Which one to go with

• Stay with Fluval 304

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • Rena XP2

Votes: 36 62.1%
  • Other (make a suggestion)

Votes: 8 13.8%

• Total voters

adamdwalker

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
only comment about my xp2 ix that the plastic tubes keep coming out and disconnecting, which could cause a big flood

any of you lknow how to solve this?

Raskolnikov

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
Jason01 said:
If you decide to get a filstar, make sure to get some drill bits to make the holes in the spray bar bigger if you use it.

I had to drill mine(the holes in the spray bar) like 4 sizes larger to get rid of the "whoooooooooing".

Other than that, I love it!
I'm going to have to try this later today, b/c mine definately produces a high-pitch wine that is becoming nerve-racking.

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
I chose other.
I would go with an Eheim 2215 or 2217 which in my opinion are much better filters than both the Rena and the Fluval.

If however you don't go that way go with the Rena.

What part of Canada are you in? I know that Big Al's sells the Eheims for quite cheap. If you live in Quebec the Big Al's here has them for $149 and $199 with the media included which is even cheaper than the Big Al's online prices.

acefred

AC Members
Dec 26, 2004
I didn't put the Eheim because I thought they would be out of my price range.....I'm in Ontario so I will have to look at the prices and consider this also.........What Media does it come with?

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
I have an XP3 and won't buy another brand. I've never owned a Fluval but I can't imagine trading one in for something else unless it was absolutely horrendous to work with, made too much noise, and/or was just plain junk. If you're worried about the difference in gph flow, don't be. Although, it is a 40 gph difference which equates to almost an extra turnover per hour in your tank...hmmm, o.k., I can see the benefit. :idea2:

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
I bored the holes on the spraybar out to a slightly larger diameter and now the whine is completely gone. I just got another XP3 today, I doubt that I'll ever get another HOB filter now that I've experienced the Filstar canisters. The canisters are both running on my new tank and it's so incredibly quiet.

Maj0rFiSh

L33t 5p34k m0f0!!11one
Jan 14, 2005
South Coast of UK
Major highjack here :D I need opinions fast if anyone can help me, Eheim 2233, Fluval 304, XP2, or cascade 700? Thhhannnkss

acefred

AC Members
Dec 26, 2004
Maj0rFiSh said:
Major highjack here :D I need opinions fast if anyone can help me, Eheim 2233, Fluval 304, XP2, or cascade 700? Thhhannnkss
From what I read around if $$ isn't an issue go with the Eheim, otherwise you can see what everyone thinks about the Fluval vs XP2 I don't know about the 700..........

Any other peeps want to vote in here? Give us all your ideas!

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
those are nice filters and i have 2 fluval 304, but the ehiem Pro2 is a much better filter, its german made, but it cost more, hence german made.

Pablo

AC Members
May 11, 2005
I have a fluval 305 an it work like a dream very silent and very good value for money... beside this it have lots of space for media and is very easy to clean :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store