Rena XP3 filter frustrations!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

HellyHans

AC Members
Oct 14, 2011
Ok, here's the deal...

I noticed that my water was by-passing my media because all the debris was sitting at the bottom of the filter and not getting sucked up into the foam pads/baskets.
Also, I have 1 1/2 inch water line gap at the top of the filter that didn't fill up properly... (air bubble)
And when I remove the top part of the filter, I have water INSIDE the motor housing with water coming out the AC cord.

So I looked online on PlanetRena, and this is a common problem with these filters.
Reason : Air leak on the intake side of the filter causes the filter to not prime properly and causes the air bubble at the top.
Water in the AC cord is caused by a bad seated QDV ( quick disconnect valve)
or worn QDV o-rings..

sooo.. I bought new orings from RENA, at 5$ for each! it's a 10c oring.
BTW: the o-ring size is 13/16" OD x 5/8" ID x 3/32" thickness
So just go to any hardware store and get that for 50c instead of 5$

Fitted everything together... and still have the same issues.

Now, my buddy is a machinist and has access to millions of o-rings... so I got one that was just a bit bigger on the OD to make sure it wasn't the QDV....

well still the same thing.. it's not priming properly.
This tells me it's not this o-ring causing the air leak.

Finally took the whole QDV apart, and noticed there are 2 other o-rings inside the ball-valve that close/open the QDV and it's leaking from UNDER the QDV
( you have to unscrew the 4 screws keeping the QDV together)

Rena do not sell these o-rings and want to sell the whole QDV assembly!
Now I don't want to buy and new QDV for finally finding out it's still by-passing!( maybe the plastic is worn I don't know) when I already spent 30$ on the original orings and impellar oring!.( because I bought 2 kits!!! )

I'm thinking of hacking my Rena and removing completely the cheap QDV assembly.
I will put hoses that have regular ball/valve quick disconnects found at the hardware store plugged directly to the intake/output on the motor assembly because I'm about to ditch this Rena.

I have no other air leaks, I replaced those cheap plastic hose clamps with real SS clamps, filter is positioned properly, etc etc.. Rena can't help me anymore. Great service...

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Why not just replace the o-rings on the Q.D.'s by getting your buddy to access his o-ring stock?

HellyHans

AC Members
Oct 14, 2011
Why not just replace the o-rings on the Q.D.'s by getting your buddy to access his o-ring stock?
That's what I'm going to try to do. but since they are old orings... I can't refer myself to the size they are now.
Plus maybe it's not the orings that is the problem.. maybe it's the plastic that has worn out, and even with new orings it would leak.
So I'm going to have to get some a bit bigger and test... or just silicone the QDV halves.

mott

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
Check your hoses, I had a bad air leak in my 2217 intake hose I had to zip tie it real tight.

HellyHans

AC Members
Oct 14, 2011
Check your hoses, I had a bad air leak in my 2217 intake hose I had to zip tie it real tight.
Yeah I didn't use the hose clamps that came with the filter... I used real Metal Stainless steel hose clamps that you can screw. they are really tight

I'm sure the leak is from the QDV inner o-ring... I will silicone the parts and see how it goes...

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
I have 6 xp's, various sizes. I had the same problem, but I was taking air in from the black cap, I used some teflon tape on it, solved my problem.

HellyHans

AC Members
Oct 14, 2011
UPDATE:
OK, found the problem and it lies within the QDV.I also made a video showing how to properly prime the filter and the SECRET trick to get rid of the water line at the top of the filter.
The QDV has 6 o-rings, 2 can be purchased, but the remaining 4 cannot and Mars Rena only sells the QDV as an assembly.
So here are the pictures of the o-rings... check do see if yours are fine and MAKE SURE that the 4 screws that hold the two QDV parts together are TIGHT!
I forgot to take a picture of the o-ring that connects the plastic barb together, but it's in the assembly.
You must be able to feel resistance when turning the plastic barbs, if it's too loose, the o-ring is either used or the screws are loose.

PS. excuse the sniffing(i'm no coke head, lol) and low audio, I had a runny nose and my GF was sleeping.

I will upload the video tomorrow

Last edited:

HellyHans

AC Members
Oct 14, 2011
I will make another video with proper audio, lol

[video=youtube;LSpBSM23YHM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSpBSM23YHM[/video]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store