repairing tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

will74

AC Members
Mar 4, 2007
Kentucky
Has anyone ever tried to replace just one side of a tank before? Or would it be better to just rebuild the whole tank?

Alan R

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Northeast Georgia
To me it would all depend on the size of the tank. If it were a 55g for example I would throw it out and get another. A 220 as another example may be worth repairing. I have never done it but I would certainly try to replace the broken glass before I tackle a complete rebuild.

will74

AC Members
Mar 4, 2007
Kentucky
fixing tank

The tank is a 40 breeder and the silicone is completely removed and the glass is an exact fit. Just figured I would save 100 dollars by trying to do it. I have all the tools to do it with and am very experienced at diy projects.

SubluxT7

Biology Major
Jul 29, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA
Real Name
Sandra
I don't see why you couldn't. I don't see it as anything different from resealing a leaking tank. Either way, good luck on your project!

SubluxT7:headbang2:

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
Go for it............:grinyes:

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
should be fairly straightforward.. use silicone to bond the glass as well as seal the inside, and you should be golden. let us know how it goes! :)

Alan R

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Northeast Georgia
Zig a 40 breeder is not frameless. Also not intended to hold water. Its meant for reptiles which makes the task even simpler imo. I'd give it a go.

will74

AC Members
Mar 4, 2007
Kentucky
So far it is fine, got a good bead of silicone 1 all the way around the seam. I am going to let it dry for a couple of days and fill it up to see if it leaks then I will let you know how it goes.
And also a 40 breeder is not just for reptiles, it is actually made to hold water. The wide and short dimensions give it more floor space for cover oriented fish enabling the fry and females to not be harassed by the dominant male.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store