Replacement 2x65 Watt Ballast question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gomrjoe

AC Members
May 22, 2006
Miami, FL.
Has anyone had to, or tried replacing a Sunpaq 2x65 Watt ballast with one of the raw ballast replacements that you see online? I have a 2x65 Current USA ballast and one of the lights is dead, the other works fine. I really only need the replacement ballast itself, I don't want to by the whole contraption with the power cords, light cord, etc. So I was wondering if anyone had taken one of the raw ballasts and opened up the casing (black casing with two power buttons on it) to take out the ballast inside and replace it.

I don't know if that is possible or not. Obviously I would have to do some wire surgery, I am confortable with that, I am pretty handy when it comes to electrical work.

Has anyone done this? Does it / would it work?

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I don't see why it wouldn't work, I've replaced ballasts from AH supply kits. you can get the Fulham Workhorse electronic ballasts from 1000bulbs.com, which are the same ones that come with the ah supply kits, and I have been extremely satisfied with them.

gomrjoe

AC Members
May 22, 2006
Miami, FL.
That is what I was thinking. I could just salvage the cords from the casing of my bad ballast and move them over to be used with the raw replacement ballast. Although the raw ballast does come with the basic wires, I am not sure that the are long enough, but I would prefer to use the wires I have now if I can just splice them over to the raw replacement ballast.

If anyone else has suggestions please share.

Thanks!

Joe

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
The wire leads that come on the replacement ballast are usually 24" long or so, should be plenty long enough to get anywhere you need to go inside the fixture - especially if its a one-for-one replacement, just rip out the old ballast and use a few wire nuts to wire the new one in identically.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store