Rescued death-row discus...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
That is the worst discus I have ever seen. Poor little guy. Thanks for rescuing him, he has a chance with you! Because of the really poor shape of his entire body and those eyes, I would definitely start with a combination of maracyn and maracyn 2. They are not harsh antibiotics at all. He's got nothing to fight with in his condition so those meds will do some fighting for him. If all he wants is a few bloodworms, by all means give them to him. If he gets better and stronger he can eat flake later. At least a few bloodworms in his tummy will give him a bit of strength.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i hope he makes a full recovery! and kudos to you for adopting him and putting so much love and care into getting him better. definitely keep us posted.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
85 or 86 is what you should always keep Discus at. If they get sick warm them up to 90. Treat with Prazi and maybe an antibiotic. Although increasing temp and large frequent water changes will probably cure the fins meds won't hurt.

cockroach

AC Members
Feb 15, 2010
The Chungle Taiwan
Poor fish. Hope you can help him pull through. If you do, hats off to you.

chefjamesscott

beware the house tiger
May 28, 2008
nice save hope the fish pulls through for you i would not be afraid to med him in that shape

mamapuff

AC Members
Sep 28, 2009
Update on Deathrow Discus

Thank you everyone for the kind words and the great advice. I will be picking up some plants for him this afternoon to make him more comfortable. I cranked his temp up to 88-90 as well.

So I came home from work late last night and went from tank to tank to turn on lights and wake everyone up as normal. I found my self holding my breath when I got to Newbies tank, since I try to expect the worst with rescues. It took me a few seconds of stuttering and and yelling at my husband to make sense. You will see why.

Me:WHOA! OMG. OMG. uh.. he.. what's?? um.. WHATS WRONG WITH HIM?!
Him:What?! What?! Is it dead??
Me: NO!!! Look!!

Please forgive the blurry pictures. All I had was my phone at the moment.

newb discus3.JPG newb discus2.JPG newb discus.JPG newb discus4.JPG newb discus5.JPG

mamapuff

AC Members
Sep 28, 2009
Oh and I had NO idea that my 4 baby loaches that were previously in this tank controlled the snail population as well as they did. Over night at least 200 snails appeared, though it could be from the water changes maybe? Since I keep cleaning the gravel, are they just getting stirred up from the bottom? Or are they able to climb up thru the rubble? I was surprised. Some are huge! My cowfish was happy, and so did the shoal of loaches that received a net full last night. So one more thing i realized: Snails+loaches= happy loaches :D

Newbie did return to his dark color last night about 20 minutes after I took those pictures. I didn't expect him to be that color to begin with, and certainly didn't expect him to stay. It almost seems as if he just wanted to show me he was feeling just a little better, and his way of saying thanks lol. I know, it's dorky oh well. On the plus side, his eyes look much clearer and the ring that was around one of his pupils (on it) is fading and not as noticeable. Still bad, but a little improvement. To see him swim and run up and down the glass like that made me smile and gave me a little hope, as a giggle. I think he deserves a name. Hmm gonna go ponder that one.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store