Returning to Fish keeping with Fluval Edge

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

oo krispy oo

AC Members
Jul 2, 2013
Connecticut
So the unwelcome snails have all been vanquished. Thanks for the assassin snail tip.

I also just noticed this morning that one of my blue tiger shrimp has lost all of its color. Could she have shed his skin like I've heard they do when they mature? Hopefully the other blue will knock her up if this is the case and I can sell Ed some of his own medicine at $14 a pop! Lol.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

oo krispy oo

AC Members
Jul 2, 2013
Connecticut
Hey gang.

It's been a while, and I hope all is well with everyone and you all had a safe and happy New Year's Eve.

So I think it's about time I changed some, if not all of my filter media in my fluval edge. I'm here to ask just that. Should I change all 3 media or just one? Not sure what to do, if I recall, most of the BB live in the filter. I also wanted to replace the filter sponge I have inside the tank on the filter intake itself (shrimp guard) for it's pretty gnarly looking. Would opt for black this time instead of white.

Thanks everyone.
Krispy

Fat Homer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
-852-
I would personally change out 3/4 of the bio rings / ceramic rings first, let that mature, and then just clean out the sponges using old tank water to keep the BB alive and away you go...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

oo krispy oo

AC Members
Jul 2, 2013
Connecticut
I would personally change out 3/4 of the bio rings / ceramic rings first, let that mature, and then just clean out the sponges using old tank water to keep the BB alive and away you go...

Thanks homer.

At the pet store now will pick up some more ceramics. How long should I let it go before i rinse the other media out in old tank water?

And can I rinse the sponge on the filter intake out the same way?

Fat Homer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
-852-
No problems ;)

And since the sponges are predominately mechanical filtration more so than bio (although still carries BB) you can definitely clean them the same way...

Definitely cheaper than replacing it all the time for no reason... Infact i've been running the same sponges for my internal filter for a good 15+ years and cleaning them out that way without any problems...

Then i replace the ceramics when they get too clogged...

oo krispy oo

AC Members
Jul 2, 2013
Connecticut
Thanks for your advice Homer looks clear as day again.

I ended up discarding the filter intake sponge since my shrimp are bigger now. Rinsed all the filter tubing out with the water taken out for a water change. Replaced the ceramics and everything is looking great. Will rinse other filter media out during next water change.

Till next time happy fish keeping.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Why did you have to replace the ceramic? I would have shaken them in dechlorinated water to clean them and you're good to go. Ceramic should last much longer than sponges.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store