Right, now its my turn!! Advise pls on my new tank...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Extremefencer

AC Members
Jan 3, 2014
This is my first post. From Blighty.

Bought my 11 year old son a tropical aquarium for his birthday last year. He had a cold water fish tank for 2 years with no dramas prior to his new one, so I thought, why not??. He does chip in with looking after them but inevitably, I have done the majority and have caught the bug!!!

He has a few fish in his:

5 harlequin rambosa, 3 scissor rambosa, 1 ocean green discus, 4 male guppy, 1 platy, 1 male dwarf gourami, 1 female dwarf gourami, 1m and 1f german blue ram. 3 black angelfish, 1 rocket killifish (panchax?), 1 albino corydora and 1 cory pepper.

I suspect some might outgrow his tank so....

I'm about to purchase a 300 litre aquarium (not marine, I aint up to that just yet!!).

What I want is advice on the type of fish I should keep in there.

I'm up for a planted aquarium, say with slate, poss sand but no set up too colourful except for the fish. I want colourful fish.

That's where I need advice. Any ideas?

I Don't want bland.
I want Variety.
I want community
I don't want aggressive.

I don't ask much do I??? Our lass just wants an oak cabinet to match rest of furniture!!!

Answers ( and possibly links) on a virtual postcard pls.

Extremefencer

AC Members
Jan 3, 2014
Its 120 ltr so I'm expecting the angels and discus to outgrow it. They are only tiny at the moment so there is no bother.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
That's quite the eclectic assortment of fish you've kept. You don't hear much about discus being kept in community tanks because of their needs.

120l (~30g) would be OK for an angel and some others I'd think.

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
The discus will not only outgrow the tank, but is very hard to take care of. The angels won't grow too big, but the tank won't be able
to handle 3 angels on top of all those other fish.

Joseph Huntley

AC Members
Dec 6, 2013
Moline, Illinois USA
Real Name
Joe
well you want community and peaceful that narrows down quite a bit. which im a newb so prob wrong but you dont want to mess with Cichlids.

you cant go wrong with Platys there are so many different colors of them and mixes of them it will brighten your tank up. Then there are all kinds of different tetras that are colourful all will get along nicely together and are undemanding, Neons and Cardinals are really colourful and with the platys be really nice. then you could get some nice colorful shrimps, and there are all kinds of really cool and colorful plecos out there and sterbae corys are really nice they have a gold sheen to them and goldish belly with nice black markings.

those are a few types of the fish I think you would want to look at. put some nice green and red plants whether real or plastic which will help show off their colors even more. I am sure others will help you with other colorful community friendly fish

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
well you want community and peaceful that narrows down quite a bit. which im a newb so prob wrong but you dont want to mess with Cichlids.

you cant go wrong with Platys there are so many different colors of them and mixes of them it will brighten your tank up. Then there are all kinds of different tetras that are colourful all will get along nicely together and are undemanding, Neons and Cardinals are really colourful and with the platys be really nice. then you could get some nice colorful shrimps, and there are all kinds of really cool and colorful plecos out there and sterbae corys are really nice they have a gold sheen to them and goldish belly with nice black markings.

those are a few types of the fish I think you would want to look at. put some nice green and red plants whether real or plastic which will help show off their colors even more. I am sure others will help you with other colorful community friendly fish
Not all cichlids are agressive. Angels and discus are cichlids and so are the rams( german blue and bolivian just to name some). Ive heard stories of some pretty mean angels. It all depends on their personality.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Extremefencer

AC Members
Jan 3, 2014
The angels is doing fine. They don't nip. Migth do when they are bigger but we can always move them to a larger tank,

Discus is only a little one (prob just over 2 inch) but seems happy. definitely the boss of the tank.

My Favourite are the German Blue Rams.

Heard about the Cichlids being aggressive, they are nice but I don't think I want some because I want some variety. Thanks for the advice guys.

have posted photos below of some of the fish in the tank. Rasboras and guppies didn't really slow down enough for a decent photo!!

IMG_0108.JPGIMG_0560.JPGIMG_0561.JPGIMG_0565.JPGIMG_0569.JPGIMG_0113.JPGIMG_0155.JPGIMG_0206.JPGIMG_0262.JPGIMG_0281.JPG

IMG_0108.JPG IMG_0113.JPG IMG_0155.JPG IMG_0206.JPG IMG_0262.JPG IMG_0281.JPG IMG_0560.JPG IMG_0561.JPG IMG_0565.JPG IMG_0569.JPG

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Let me pipe in here a bit
discus generally need a lot of care, you little green discus looks like he may need more food he appears a bit thin.. they do not compete well with other tank inhabitants and young disciu are often raised in growout tanks to allow them the opportunity to eat.. they are really grazers feeding leisurely at the bottom, he will need different water compered to the Angel(but similar to the rams0. the discus should be in water about 84f the warm water will stimulate his appetite. I would also recommend several small feedings daily..if you have a small 10 g(40l tank) you could use that till the discus catches up.
discus can get larger than 6" round, about the size of a small platter. discus are more comfortable in a group(5 or more)
My discus tank currently houses 7 Discus and a pair of Blue Rams

also daily water changes to remove uneaten food would be good.
the angels also appear to be pretty young and would also benefit from several small feedings daily.

Please don't think I'm being critical.. I'm not , you are taking the right steps by asking here.
there are a lot of beautiful tropical fish available and some just need special care. Most LFS do not let you know that they often sell very young fish that are capable of getting fairly large. think Oscars here..some of the stores Use to sell2-3" oscars and tell folks they would be fine in a 10 gallon tank...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store