Rimless tanks risky?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

clawlan

Don't harass the sea turtles!
Dec 29, 2006
Atlanta, GA
you could always have a rimless tank with a glass top, like the solana tanks. it's a really nice compromise.
Yea, they are really nice, but I just love the look of the totally open top, you can see the water movement unobstructed. But overall, I agree with the consensus that the cons likely outweigh the aesthetics.

milesalive

AC Members
Apr 22, 2009
Kalamazoo,MI
I agree with mello the glass top rimless looks great but can be a bit pricey

rdfriend

AC Members
Sep 9, 2007
Seminole, Fl.
I don't know anything about rimless tanks but both of my tanks are open top and even with 2 cats and 5 dogs I don't have any problems with hair or dust. Neither cat is of a really hairy type and the dogs are all small but I also have tile floors and a ceiling fan above and in front of the tanks. I do get more evaporation but it doesn't cause a temperature issue so it's only a little more RO for topping off. I do have egg crate on the larger tank, mainly because of the eel and wrasse and it does diffuse the lighting some. I'd like to get in on some of that netting if if I could find some.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
you could always have a rimless tank with a glass top, like the solana tanks. it's a really nice compromise.
im looking forawrd to this in my new solana :)

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Dust and pet hair aren't an issue if you have an overflow on the tank. It gets skimmed right into the filter.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
I had forgotten about that, but I have never seen where you can actually get it. Does it have a specific name?

Not sure if this is the exact same stuff, but I've seen these three links in particular mentioned in the past on RC for sources of mesh / netting to make tank covers:
Mosaic Mesh
US Netting -- They use coins to show relative size like the pic shown earlier in this thread, so that netting could potentially be from that site.
Industrial Netting

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
I am thinking of creating a fused art glass aquarium, but I am having a hard time thinking about it. :raspberry: Check out my fused art sample here
I think your best bet would be to start off small, and make a betta tank. You might also get some good answers if you made yourself a thread in the General Freshwater area.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store