RO vs DI?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TrevDizzle

AC Members
Aug 1, 2006
A couple of quick questions here. How important is it too have a RO/DI unit, as opposed to just having a RO unit? Which unit has a better purification capability or are they about the same? I know that it's best to have both units working in unisom, but being on a small budget, which unit is preferred?

--Trev

TrevDizzle

AC Members
Aug 1, 2006
Ok, thats what I thought. A RO unit alone was what I was originally leaning towards. Thanks for the quck reply!

--Trev

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
RO/DI purifies more than just RO. The DI part gets the added ions that can pass through the RO membrane, such as some of the nutrients that you don't want building up in your sw tank. If you want to look at cost, the DI stage is relatively inexpensive considering what it does and the potential problems it can help avoid. Any good salt mix is going to provide plenty of minerals and trace elements, plus they'll be balanced.

mikelush78

AC Members
Jun 30, 2006
Rochester
I agree with FSN RO/DI is better... Removes more potential problems from the water and over time they add up. Whe they add up then you have problems that cost more then a RO/DI.

TrevDizzle

AC Members
Aug 1, 2006
I guess I should invest the extra money into a RO/DI Unit then. Thanks for the help guys!

--Trev

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
If you're still shopping around, check with thefilterguys.biz -- they're reef aquarists themselves, actually use their own products, and can help you customize a unit to your needs.

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
RO/Di is really flat water it has no added minerals or trace elements in it

RO has more of the elements that you would really need , it is also cheaper to run..

IMO RO is better
why would RO be better? RO only takes out about 80% (of course, with a few variables... but on average) while DI takes out over 97%. RO is better for freshwater if you dont treat RO/DI. but RO/DI is by far superior.

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
why would RO be better? RO only takes out about 80% (of course, with a few variables... but on average) while DI takes out over 97%. RO is better for freshwater if you dont treat RO/DI. but RO/DI is by far superior.
What would you treat RO/DI water with? RO does not need treating? I'm getting a system within the next 2 weeks and am wondering these same questions.

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
in many freshwater tanks, people have to add some additives because the water is too pure. In freshwater, RO doesnt need to be treated because it is good enough for the tank, but it isnt TOO pure. of course, you dont need to treat any saltwater for anything because you are obviously adding salt.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store