rock question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

D.J.

AC Members
May 3, 2008
im getting ready to convert my 55g over to salt but i have a question....i has this really nice chunk of lava rock(weights about 15lbs) in it with some nice cave in it in the tank right now with the freshwater sharks....

would that rock be able to be used in a salt tank? and if so how long would it take something like that to become LR?

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
That is great, your changing over to saltwater, but this rock you have, I wouldn't chance using it in a marine tank. you be best to sell it and get yourself 30 or more lbs of live rock. On how long this might turn into live, will depend first if your really able to use it or not, and tank conditions are as near to excellent, at all times. It will not simply happen in a few weeks or months.

The first thing you will need to do is, decide in what type of marine tank it will be, and go from there.

Buddy

D.J.

AC Members
May 3, 2008
i currently have 2 salt tanks....so this 55g isnt new to me...im just ADDICTED to them now!!!! LMAO

all ive ever had is fresh tanks and im now into 10 months of being a salt owner and have 2 tanks established and functioning good(minus one sick tang).....

i was jsut wondering about the lava rock....its a great looking rock and would be a shame to just chunk it to the side....

this isnt a deffenant thing as of yet......this tank might become a VIVARIUM for my yellow spotted salemander(SP)......but not sure on that since it has sharks,neons,hifin tetras and a african butterfly in it....

thanks for the heads up on the rock thou

D.J.

AC Members
May 3, 2008
and if it was to be turned into a salty in would house my dwarf fuzzy lion,snowflake eel and an urchin(once it is established euff for one).....

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
The rock you have, may be the type of rock you shouldn't use in a marine tank, for which could possibly affect your tanks Ph, which is why im suggesting to you to not risk it, unless your sure that it can be used in a marine system, and all you have to do is add other live rock.

As for the idea of a sfe, many will agree that a 55 is good enough, so ill not make any of my own comments there that will only add to your confusing. But the idea on having a sea urchin, im afraid is not a good idea for two reasons I believe. One is that you seem to be looking to doing mostly FO, and the second be is that a sea urchin will stave to death, if its not enough food. So im strongly suggesting that you change your mind on that idea.

You should soon be getting other thoughts on your ideas from few other members soon.

Buddy

D.J.

AC Members
May 3, 2008
i wouldnt be adding an urchin anytime soon....i know that my tanks are no where near ready enuff for one.....thats just what i was thinkin about for the 55g but nothing set in stone...

i know people on here and other sites live by the BIGGER IS BETTER but not everyone can afford a 500g tank....

i dont plan on housing huge fish....the largest i currently ha will be my hippo tang but she is only 3/4in and is a long way away from being full grown...

yeah im gona do some investigation on the lava rock before i decide to add it to a salt tank.....just wanted to see if anyone here has had any experience with lava rock in a marine tank....

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
Im sure you know that your hippo tang is not the type of fish you want for a 55. But that is good that you will research into the idea of using that lava rock, also, if you can use it, it would be best first to have some kind of QT or Rubbermaid so that you can first condition the dead rock for your tank, rather then just putting it in. I know you said that the sea urchin would be added much later, this im afraid will differ none in its survival, I still say that you should have a change in mind about having the urchin. I too, plan on having sea urchins for my 180 reef tank, which would be added much later on. :grinyes:

Buddy

D.J.

AC Members
May 3, 2008
the hippo wouldnt be going into the 55......just the dwarf lion......yeah i highly doubt ill ever get an urchin but they are so cool lookin!!!

superlynx

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
San Francisco Peninsula
DJ, I am not an expert at all, but when I switch my tank to SW ; I did put in my lava rock from my old FW tank. Only thing that I kept (beside the heater), it has been a while and it does ok. Some color on it, but I do think about taking it out once I found a piece of LW that is cool enough.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store