RODI confusion

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BuckeyeFldSup

AC Members
Jul 29, 2008
Only thing I'm confused about is that it doesn't seem to be wired onto the waste line. Instead it's wired after the membrane and before the ASO valve(which leads to the DI resin)...
I think you're confusing a check valve for a flow restrictor. The flow restrictor on your system is not visible because it is INSIDE one of the tubes. This should help:

...it seems like the flush kit is wired onto the waste line. I thought the flush kit was supposed to be wired before the membrane so that it could increase the amount of water flowing over the membrane. Why would it be wired into the waste???
Your flush kit is plumbed correctly, assuming your flow restrictor is where it should be - see the pic above, which includes explanation of the flush kit.

Another thing I noticed from watching the BRS vid on the auto top off kit and looking at that diagram above is that I dont have a check valve wired in after membrane and before the ASO valve. Is this necessary for the functioning of the auto top off?
You actually do. The pic below should help:

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Wow Russ thanks for those labeled pics like that. Helps a bunch! I was getting confused because what I thought was the flow restrictor is actually the check valve. I went on the BRS site to see what a flow restrictor looked like and it looked like that. However, upon further inspection they do look a bit different. Im not home yet, but I will double check and make sure that line has a flow restrictor inside it. On that note, is there any important difference between the "inside the tubing" flow restrictors and those that sit on the outside?

Also, the unit I was using previously was this coral life pur flo 2. http://www.amazon.com/Coralife-05692-Pure-Flo-50-Gallon-System/dp/B0006JKO9W. I was thinking about switching the membrane housings on the units just because the housing on this unit is kind of crummy looking (I didn't notice any leaks but I forgot to ask why the housing was taped up when I purchased). Just want to make sure, this shouldn't be a problem since both the 50 gpd and 75 gpd membranes are 1812 membranes, right?

edit: actually I just realized that the coral life pur flo 2 unit has those J screw on fittings..not sure if that would be a problem. May just buy another housing...

Last edited:

BuckeyeFldSup

AC Members
Jul 29, 2008
Really no functional difference between a capillary tube type restrictor and a cartridge type restrictor. In fact, if you take apart a cartridge type, guess what you'll find inside? IT will be a capillary restricor or something similar.

Those membrane housings should be identical - you can swap them out w/out a problem. ARe yu talking about elbow fittings? Remember that you can swap fittings from housing to the other as well. They just screw in. Use teflon tape.

You could probably just pull off the duct tape and take the sticky mess off the housing with goo gone.

Russ

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Haha, that's awesome I didn't realize I could swap the fittings around. I'm gonna do that. Thanks a lot Russ, I really appreciate the help. I was getting annoyed from not understanding these RODI things I was thinking about.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store