Rules of size and tank size.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BucketFish

AC Members
May 22, 2012
Ok no I just couldn't tell if you were telling me I was stupid for suggesting such a thing and not understanding the previous stuff you told me or if it was your way of saying just go back to the previous stuff I said and try again. As a beginner, it sometimes becomes very frustrating between opinions and facts of the saltwater hobby are not only hard to understand (to me at least...head explode sometimes!) but there are so many people that will confidently tell you stuff that is wrong! I'm finding out my local fish store people are the worst! I downloaded this forum app because I am learning a ton here. And you guys are clever and I think you really know your stuff. I'm a dog trainer and understand different things about a totally different pet. And am used to a totally different way of seeing animals

I get stuff slow...I havent even figured out how to post pictures of my tank yet either!help!:) Just be patient with this new guy cause I hate not being able to keep up with the awesome topics you guys get into. I'm not really considering a puffer, but when a website says "minimum tank size:30 gallons" on a fish profile my eyes get big for a minute. Live aquaria seems to have misleading and vague information sometimes. This time I thought that was totally wrong and wanted to double check with the forum.

I heard something about greech having cookies for the newbies...? Thanks for all your input everyone! I'll try not to see things personally 'round here.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
:iagree:
Don't worry about it. They're just trying to help. A lot of us get worked up over the "inch per gallon" rules, partially because they're worthless and end up causing as many, if not more bad experiences than good. And also because the "pet" industry & many stores still perpetuate such a flawed method of determining proper stocking levels for tanks, meaning that more people believe in such calculations, which means that more tanks get overstocked, and more fish suffer as a result.

Basically, they're upset with the inch/gallon rules, not the fact that you asked about it. The fact that you asked shows that you care about the fish you keep, which is easily the most essential thing for keeping a healthy happy tank. You'll see it fairly often around here, people tend to get a bit heated and opinionated about the subject being discussed, myself not excluded. Just do your best to look past any suspected rudeness, snideness, sarcasticness, etc. and focus on the actual point they're trying to make, and don't take anything personally, because 99% of the time, it's not meant that way.

The more you ask, the more you learn, and the happier your tank inhabitants are. So keep asking away!
I could not have said it better myself.:lipssealedsmilie:

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
You will find in this hobby there are many differing and contradicting views and "facts". That is because there are so many different ways to do things. That doesn't mean that some are wrong, just different. Many people successfully keep overstocked tanks because of their dedication to maintenance. I myself prefer to under stock simply because life happens and if something interrupts your maintenance routine it could be disastrous with an overstocked tank,

Keep researching and asking questions. Take the conflicting answers, add a little common sense and you will arrive at the way that works best for you.

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Keep researching and asking questions. Take the conflicting answers, add a little common sense and you will arrive at the way that works best for you.
Exactly this. I've had to do a lot of learning as I go (I started keeping fish maybe a little under 2 months ago) and I run into conflicting answers all the time. A lot of the time neither side is wrong. They've just had different experiences. Think of it like dogs, some people think certain dogs are aggressive and will create problems for their owners while others will tell you they've had that breed of dog for years without a problem. With live animals experiences differ greatly. You're already doing the right thing by asking questions. Take anything anyone says here and build your own experience from it =)

And we would love to see some pics along the way XD

BucketFish

AC Members
May 22, 2012
Tang Police?!?! Dear god what is this place...???

Sent from my SCH-I800 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store