Safety info...worth a read.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CrazzE8z

AC Members
Apr 22, 2004
Visit site
The information in this post can be very useful for beginners. Personally, I have been stung by some of the above items and I can attest to how painful they actually are. However, like stated above, the stings put out vary with different people. Me, myself, they have never affected me too badly. I have been stung by montipora (aka fire coral) three times, and though it burns/itches for eight to ten hours, it does not affect me too much. However, a friend of mine was stung by an anemone and was hospotalized for an entire week because he was allergic to that particular organism's sting.

As for the jellyfish, I believe they can be a little dangerous, but the mushrooms and polyps should be absolutely fine.

starmom

AC Members
May 13, 2004
ny state
Visit site
gosh! I just didnt consider this for some reason............

im really sensitive to any kind of bug bite, seasonal allergies etc....

I guess I better get those gloves that go up your arm for working with the uncured rock im getting.....

thanks........
sue

axepilot

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
A long time ago, I got popped by a lionfish while being careless cleaning my tank. I can personally attest to just how painful that was. I did my homework when I bought the lion, and I knew that hot water was the remedy.

Knowing what actions to take if you get invenomated is SOUND advice.

Bobar57

Registered Member
Aug 1, 2004
Miami, FL
Visit site
Good thread!!!

It is always helpful information for novices and veterans either,while living in a country of the Caribbean I had my shares of stings from corals, anemones and inbebend spines from urchins on the feets, in my shopping list is the pair of gloves mentioned above :clap:

carracarra13

Registered Member
Jan 14, 2006
got taged my self a few weeks ago by a bristle worm (fire worm) not an experience I want to repeat lots of discomfort

Nick540

AC Members
Feb 13, 2007
I have an anaphylactic allergy to both fish and shelfish. i take extra special care when dealing with my tank because it is death for me if something goes wrong. i have elbow legth gloves and let my wife do feedings and deal with the fish. is there any other precautions i should be aware of due to my allergy severnes? (I have 2 epipens about all the time)

WinnipegDragon

AC Members
Apr 9, 2007
Wow, you have a fatal allergy to shellfish and you are keeping a marine tank?

Mar 29, 2007
this is also great info when fragging zoas etc. Be vary careful, nothing wrong with a face mask and safety goggles.

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
geez this is an old thread but good nonetheless.

chickenhawk

Jump in, the water's fine!
May 21, 2007
Between Tahoe & Sac
I've got a couple scars from my percula....I jerked my arm when he nipped me and scraped the edge of the tank...blood in the water! I went out to eat sushi for dinner that night!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store