Salinity Monitor

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
I was just curious as to how unreliable the hydrometer really are. I just have the standard plastic needle kind. I was looking at the Pinpoint Salinity Monitors, but I'd like to avoid spending $130 if possible. The current hydrometer I have reads at 1.0035

agilis

AC Members
Dec 20, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
You don't need to spend a fortune on a good hydrometer. The plastic dial kind that you have is not accurate, and not very good.

The kind of hydrometer you should consider is the floating glass type that looks a lot like a floating thermometer, only bigger. In fact, some have a thermometer built in. The thin neck of this kind of hydrometer has lines that look like the lines on a ruler. The lines start at the bottom of the neck, where a reading of 0.00 indicates no salinity. Fresh water will float the hydrometer at this level. Salt dissolved in the water will float the hydrometer higher. The more salt, the higher it floats, and as it floats you can read the specific gravity on the ruler-lined neck. It's very simple. The s.g. reading for seawater should be around 1.020 to 1.025. Because temperature affects the s.g., check to see at what temp the hydometer is calibrated for. Thoce made for aquarium use will be adjusted for around 78F. Small temp. differences from the temp listed on the hydrometer will make little difference. A big temp difference can be adjusted for in your mind by remembering that cold water will show a slighter higher specific gravity.

Refractometers will give a much more exact salinity measurement, but you probably don't need that level of accuracy. A good hydrometer of the kind I described is probably around $25. A refractometer is around $100. The plastic pointer kind are a waste at any price. It is unfortunate that so many products are designed as if aquarists had subnormal intellegence, no patience, and an inability to learn. There are a lot of lazy folks out there who want plug-in simplicity, and many products are aimed at them.

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
This is interesting. I've always heard bad things about the floaters. I'll give it a look. I can pick one up for about $4. So, lemme get this straight though. If my one is running at 80-81, it's going to be a bit lower than it reads (I'm not dumb, just don't want to make a horrible mistake)? Thanks for the info!

agilis

AC Members
Dec 20, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
The floating glass hydrometers are, obviously, more fragile. They are also a bit more trouble, in that you must either shut off any strong water circulation if the reading is taken in the tank itself, or measure the water in a container deep enough to float the hydrometer. Many hydrometers come with a round plastic column designed to hold the sample water.

If a new glass hydrometer is $4, something is wrong. I have seen tiny cheap hydrometers that are about 5" long. This is not a good hydrometer. A real hydrometer should be about 9 to12 inches long. They used to be carried by all serious marine aquarium stores, but have been supplanted by the plastic gizmos, which are cheaper to make, smaller and cheaper to ship, don't break easily, and earn higher profits. They can give a ballpark figure, but are very imprecise, and affected by dried salt, micro debris, air bubbles, etc.

The best hydrometers I've seen are from Germany, where aquarium technology and quality are far beyond standards prevalent in the United States. They are willing to take the time and spend the money. Few of us are, so a lot of junk is marketed.

If your water temp is 81F and the hydrometer is stanardized in the mid-70s, there is no significant difference. If the hydrometer is standardized in the 60s, your water will be a little more saline than the hydrometer reads: a reading of 1.020 on a 60s adjusted
hydrometer in an 80s tank means the water is really close to 1.025.

If you are in the very broad salinity ballpark, your fish will be fine, at least in terms of salinity issues. Most systemic problems that I personally have seen in the SW tanks of the inexperienced are caused by inadequate water circulation. Strong water movement in all parts of the tank is critical in SW aquariums, far more than in FW tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store