Salt for the l'il nippers

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Grundy

"A Buckeye Behind Enemy Lines"
Jul 9, 2006
Michigan
Anybody use a low level of salt in their freshwater tanks? (not when treating ich, etc. but for normal operation). I have been doing it since "The Great Ich Outbreak of '06" with good results but not sure what the longterm consequences for my barbs and, especially, my corys.

TheZoo

Curiouser and curiouser!
Apr 12, 2006
melting in Houston, TX
No need to add salt continuously, and it may make any bacteria create a stronger resistance to salt. Your fish dont need it, as they are all freshwater, and I suspect they wouldnt really like it, it may irritate them a bit.

khombre

Jul 18, 2005
Quezon City, Philippines
No need for salt. Besides, other say that there are some long term effects when using salt regularly other than for treatment purposes. :duh:

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Salt Interferes with natural Osmoregulation, Over time It will have health effects and will shorten the lifespan of your fish to some degree or another. Softwater fish like Cories will be more succeptable to the effects than hardwater fish like mollies or African Cichlids, But either way no Freshwater fish should be subjected to elevated sodium or Chloride long term.

Dave

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Yep, what Dave said.....I used aquarium salt regularly in my tanks for 3 years with no apparent ill effects......until the beginning of this year that is.

I only started using salt when I first got into this hobby, because my brother in law told me to...(he has a few tanks)...figured he knew what he was talking about.

I was told by folks here that it wasn't a good idea, but I had never experienced any ill effects so I continued. (I figured the day I stopped I'd have some kind of major catastrophy or other....lol....Murphy lives in my back pocket)

Anyway, I noticed at one point that one of my angels was not acting right...not eating and hanging in the corner. I hadn't added anything new to the tank, was doing regular routine twice weekly gravel vac/water changes...in other words, there was no reason for it to be sick that I could see. I stopped adding salt to the change water and did some major water changes in that tank and the angel came around and has been doing fine ever since.

I saw that as the first indication of trouble because of the salt...that angel is a 'weaker' fish....not sickly or anything, just not as robust as my other angel and if something was going to go wrong in my tank, that would be the first fish to show signs..and he was. I haven't used aquarium salt since...and no..I didn't have any major catastrophies from the change......lol....

ChileRelleno

500+ jumps-n-counting,SKYDIVE!
Feb 10, 2005
Mobile, AL
The consensus is "No Salt!", and I fully concur.
Salt like any other tonic/remedy/medication should only be used when there is a direct need and then removed promptly.
There most definitely are problems associated with longterm exsposure to salt in freshwater fish, exactly as stated by Daveedka.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store