Saltwater Christmas! 34 gal. Solana Cube

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Hmm, nothing exactly like it, but you might like the torch coral. It is in the same family as the hammer you like. Again, it isn't a peaceful coral but it doesn't have the reach on the sweepers that the galaxea does (I think). You could place it near the hammer and be OK.

spiffish

AC Members
Sep 14, 2004
im suprised no one has said anything about the flame angel nipping at corals
I haven't had a chance to read up on those too much, so is that an issue then?

Anyways, just tested:

Salinity: 1.022
Nitrite: .50
Nitrate: ~20
Ammonia: .50

I haven't added anything like a shrimp to cycle, etc. Would this be a good idea? Or should I let it go?

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.
I posted a while back looking for another small fish to add to my 28 gallon and was told they can be tempramental with corals, they may or may not nip at them, I was advised towards a pygmy cherub angel which i'm glad I got as he is a great little although I would still love a flame as I love the colour

Oh, and you will need to raise your salinity to around 1.025/26 for corals

JohnLin

AC Members
Dec 1, 2007
Madison, WI
I haven't had a chance to read up on those too much, so is that an issue then?

Anyways, just tested:

Salinity: 1.022
Nitrite: .50
Nitrate: ~20
Ammonia: .50

I haven't added anything like a shrimp to cycle, etc. Would this be a good idea? Or should I let it go?
As long as you have traceable amount of ammonia and nitrite, you can just wait until they both go down to 0.00 and you can go ahead and add your first fish.

spiffish

AC Members
Sep 14, 2004
Update: March 20008

So far the tank is doing great! I ended up removing everything and moving the tank into the kitchen. Where it was in the living room made maintenance very difficult due to the small space and big couches. Now things are so much easier to access from all three sides, plus being on a linoleum floor is better too for cleanup.

Soon after that, I decided to remove the glass lid to make topping off and maint. easier, and less obsctructed lighting. That very Night, my cat, Kona, (1 yr old) decided to jump on the 'lid' of the aquarium. She found the lid missing of course and took a brief swim. This turned out to be good training however, she has never bothered the tank since! There was no damage or problems, other than cleaning the glass of salt deposits from splashing.

I have since set up a RO/DI from airwaterice.com (excellent!) and set it up next to the washer/dryer. It works great and gives great water.

I found out Mr. Coral (mrcoral.com) is located only 45 mins away! They have had some great deals on corals, buy one get one free on 5-25$ frags. So far I've got:

Couple Zoos
mushroom
xenia
Leather
Some sort of green SPS (name?)

As for livestock:
now at:
2 clowns (false percs I think?)
cleaner shrimp
2 elec blue hermits
2 red legs
~10 small blue legs
~10 snails

Pics!

spiffish

AC Members
Sep 14, 2004
Too funny about the cat. I wonder what the fish were thinking at the time. Do you have a photo of the mystery SPS?
Funny thing about that SPS... after re-reading this thread, and running back to the tank... it seems I've got... TOOTH CORAL! :eek::eek3:

Anyways, its pretty small and been in about a month... haven't seen any longer tentacles or anything... though I might take it back for something else at Mr. Coral... hmmm

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store