Saltwater Help/Opinions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
+1 to what everyone else mentioned. Judging from your past posts and setup my first guess is gonna be the HOB filter is the culprit. If you have not taken it off and completely cleaned it and replaced all media I would alomost certainly say that is the cause of the smell. You mentioned small particles of food being uneaten by the chromis. As time goes on that food is going to rot in your tank or in the filter. If you are using filter floss in the HOB, you're gonna want to replace that every 2 to 3 days and if you are using a sponge, clean or replace that every 3 days as well. If you are doing weekly water changes a though cleaning of the filter should be part of that process (minimum cleaning every 2 weeks).

The next suggestion would be to run fresh carbon and GFO or something like Chemipure Elite in the HOB if you are not already. You may have to change it frequently to start but once you get the tank/odor under control you should be able to stretch that out to weeks.

Your solid rock is a bit concerning. 8 lbs of solid rock isn't gonna cut it long term. The lb per gallon rule (which I feel is a bit much) is for porous rock which provides adequate surface area for beneficial bacteria. Having solid rock, your bacteria population is likely cut in half (or more) of what it could/should be.

Flow is another concern. I'm sure your HOB is turning your wate over but you really have to countercurrent to suspend wastes and detrtus so the HOB filter can capture it. In addition, the organics that feed the bacteria are getting less contact time with the beneficial bacteria that you do have.

Don't put a lid on the tank. You'll just end up cleaning the top and you'll likely have heat issues. Lowering your temp to 76-78 might help too BTW. Interested in knowing what your ammonia, trite, trate and phosphate numbers are.

lMorphine

AC Members
Sep 11, 2011
New York
My HOB filter is brand new (AC 50) and I have 4lbs solid, 4lbs porous rock. Theres no uneaten food because the shrimp and crabs eat it all and my temp is at 78 now. And my Params were posted on the page before I beleive

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
And for vera - I did research a ton and asked alot of questions beforehand. I was advised not to get a powerhead.
Wow, this is the first I have heard of someone being told not to use a powerhead in a SW tank. I don't think i have ever seen a SW tank without at least one.

lMorphine

AC Members
Sep 11, 2011
New York
Well I created a thread before I made my SW tank asking about what I need and should get and someone told me I didnt need one for a 10G so I never got one :eek: I have enough movement with the airpump and filter though.

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
No offense to whoever told you not to get one, but i would get one anyways. If im not mistaken, they should be pretty cheap for a 10 gallon tank. I think SW tanks rarely get enough movement from the filter pump alone. By the way, how is the smell?

lMorphine

AC Members
Sep 11, 2011
New York
Well my AC50 makes alot of splash but ill shop for some Powerheads. And the smell is still friggen terrible. I dont know what to do, i resorted to hanging car fresheners on the tank -.-'

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Well my AC50 makes alot of splash but ill shop for some Powerheads. And the smell is still friggen terrible. I dont know what to do, i resorted to hanging car fresheners on the tank -.-'
If I was you I would try move all the livestock into temporary tanks or buckets, remove the live rock, filters, etc. and do a thorough inspection of everything. I cured 130 pounds of LR and though it smelled fishy and oceany and kinda bad near the tank, it wasn't "unbearable" like ur describing. Dont remember it sticking around for so long either. It sounds like something is really wrong with the tank.

vera222

AC Members
Apr 5, 2010
There is definitely something wrong with your tank if it smells so bad. If I were you, I would take all the animals back to your lfs, take apart the tank to find what the problem is, and start over. By the way, splashing and bubbles is the reason you have salt everywhere, which you also complained about. Again, that equipment is for freshwater tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store