Saltwater Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tarheels910

Malawi Maniac
Jul 6, 2006
Concord, NC
If I get some live rock from a tank that has been running for a few years (Right up the street from me. It would take me like 2 min to get it home.) could I put it directly into my tank? The tank would have water in it with the corect temp and salt levels.

Can I put my sand in first if it is not live? Thanks.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
If I get some live rock from a tank that has been running for a few years (Right up the street from me. It would take me like 2 min to get it home.) could I put it directly into my tank? The tank would have water in it with the corect temp and salt levels.

Can I put my sand in first if it is not live? Thanks.
Yes, you can put this straight in your tank as long as you trust the source...I.E no medications, copper etc etc in the tank its coming from.

On the sand, you can put it in first if you wish, but make sure that when you add the rock, its firmly sitting on the glass bottom of the tank, not resting on the sand to give the rock its stability..

Niko

tarheels910

Malawi Maniac
Jul 6, 2006
Concord, NC
Yes, you can put this straight in your tank as long as you trust the source...I.E no medications, copper etc etc in the tank its coming from.

On the sand, you can put it in first if you wish, but make sure that when you add the rock, its firmly sitting on the glass bottom of the tank, not resting on the sand to give the rock its stability..

Niko
Alright, thanks Niko.

tarheels910

Malawi Maniac
Jul 6, 2006
Concord, NC
Will I need to do weekly water changes? How would I add more salt?

Also, is there a way to mix salt without using a bucket, powerhead, and heater?

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.
Will I need to do weekly water changes? How would I add more salt?

Also, is there a way to mix salt without using a bucket, powerhead, and heater?
You will need to do at 10% water changes on a weekly basis to help keep params stable and calcium/alkalinity balanced.
It's reccomended that you use a container/bucket to mix your RO with salt. You will need a powerhead in order to aggitate the water over 24 hours to obtain the right ionic balance/ph, also remeber to check the SG of the water to make sure its the same as the tank SG and adjust as needed(more salt to raise, dilute with RO to reduce), and you will definately need a heater to get the mixed water to the same temp as the tank as adding water of a different temp will more than likely shock your fish or even kill them, marines dont like any major fluctuations in water.
Never add salt direct to your tank

tarheels910

Malawi Maniac
Jul 6, 2006
Concord, NC
Does this plan sound okay?

I put my rinsed sand in the tank (Not live, will add some live later). Fill it up with tap water. Let the chlorine remove itself from the water. Add salt. (Powerheads will mix it). About a week later start to add live rock and sand.

For water changes, I will use a bucket, powerhead, and heater to mix my salt water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store