saltwater viv construction log

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Those rocks came out great! You did an awesome job on this project. I look forward to seeing some more pics.

ohbly

AC Members
Feb 9, 2006
New Zealand
here are some pics-

its looking a bit arid at the mo, giving the epoxy a few more days to fully cure before adding mosses..

this is how I can access the overflow tub

the sump bucket. I've got some diy liverock thats curing for another week before I dump it in a stream for a month then dump it in the sea for another month, that will act as the tanks filter.

btw- for those interested in making fake rocks, this is the best info I found online- http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/16605-making-fake-rocks.html It starts with the method I used and then moves on to cement and grout methods.

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ
Very very nice

ohbly

AC Members
Feb 9, 2006
New Zealand
I got crabs!
I finally found got some of the purple rock crabs which was why I made(then remade) this tank in the first place. I found a spot on the Kiapara harbour coast that was crawling with them

This is a small one

life must be tough here because many where missing legs

a bigger one

They get more colourful as they get bigger. wiki says they grow to 5cm across the shell, but they can grow to twice that.

I made the tank too small to house an adult so I caught some babies. If they become tame and interesting pets, I will make them bigger enclosure when they outgrow the current tank.

awww cute!

dwag88

AC Members
Jun 15, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
I've just been through all 16 pages. You, sir, are the DIY king! I was particularly impressed with the realism of the fake rock wall on this newer version of the tank.

BTW, that is one beautiful beach! Coming from a landlocked state 400 miles from the closest ocean, I am green with envy! Good luck with the new crabs!

ohbly

AC Members
Feb 9, 2006
New Zealand
I've just been through all 16 pages. You, sir, are the DIY king! I was particularly impressed with the realism of the fake rock wall on this newer version of the tank.

BTW, that is one beautiful beach! Coming from a landlocked state 400 miles from the closest ocean, I am green with envy! Good luck with the new crabs!
400 miles! thats crazy! As for being a nice beach, it may look nice but the water is teeming with stingrays, sharks and jellyfish.

The new crabs have have made the tank much more interesting, they constantly wander around in the open and take frequent dips to wet their gills.

another creature thats relatively new is a starfish (with shrimp who's all grown up)

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Absolutely marvellous. Wonderful work, wonderful thread, exceptional skill.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store