Sand and Pleco poop

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TimmyB42386

PO'd Crawdad
Dec 15, 2006
New Jersey
Yea you are right, My very first tank I used a to fine sand on and had a bunch of loaches, who LOVED to stir up the sand and it got sucked up into the impellor and made a horrible griding noise. I returned the penguin and started using cannisters. On my latest tank, a budget minded one, I got another penguin filter because I do like them reguardless of the sand issue, and have had no problems with the powerhead, filter, and sand as long as the powerhead wasn't blowing directly into the sand. I just needed a little extra water flow to pick up the poo a Sorubim Lima can drop all over tank.

aardvark1

Too many tanks are almost enough...
Sep 27, 2005
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
I had the same problem he/she had,
I'm a He (as least I was the last time I checked! ;))

Got a spare Aquaclear 30 power head without a home, so may try that.

Since I started this thread, have done some gardening. Planted a bunch of Vals in the back of the tank behind that resin driftwood thingie; maybe that will hide the poop somewhat.

Best solution is to find a new home for Ralph. Fellow Boy Scout leader in my Troop keeps Koi; maybe she can find a home for him in her pond...

Shocker6966

AC Members
Nov 5, 2006
Peterborough, Ontario
Hmmm how to explain this one. The powerhead in my 150 long is oriented across one of the ends of the tank to circulate the water around the heaters. As a result of the gentle current it produces, the bulk of the detritus settles exactly underneath the powerhead with the exception of a couple low spots here and there. So, try setting your powerhead about mid height so that it creates a perimeter circulation and you should end up with the same result. Also, naturally we try to hide the hardware, so in the end, you'd be hiding the poop too!

-----------------------------------
[ |---<---<---<---<---<---<-----..]
[ v........................................^..]
[.|.........................................|..]
[ v.........................................^ ]
[ |........................................PH.]
[->---->--->--->--->--->--> poop]
-----------------------------------

aardvark1

Sep 27, 2005
Last night I had planted a bunch of Val's there in the back, this morning all the plec poop was down by the roots.

Not sure if the water flow deposited it there, or the plec uses the plants like how we use a tree when taking a **** outdoors...

Rest of the substrate was fairly clean...

Still will probably find Ralph a new home....

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
the area where it accumulates is more than likely just a dead spot in the water, or the spot of least flow. i would try to give him to the friend with the pond.

aardvark1

Sep 27, 2005
That might be; it's right in the middle between the two filter intakes....

F1shkeeper

smells like... victory
Apr 24, 2006
NJ
this is off topic, but, aardvark1, your tank decorations are pretty much identical to my tank, even the positioning of them, i kinda freaked out when i saw, wish i had pics of my tank to show you.

aardvark1

Sep 27, 2005
Great minds thinking alike!

:thm::dance::thm::dance::thm::dance:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store