sand or gravel

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jadefoodog

AC Members
Dec 15, 2005
i thoght thats why you churn the sand by hand every 2 weeks

i turn off my filters durin a churn or a change

Omega

Clowning Around
Dec 29, 2005
Surrey, BC, Canada
To avoid anoxic regions, don't use a very deep sandbed. Also, there's a way of running the siphon over the surface of the sand without sucking too much up.

emergent

AC Members
Jan 8, 2006
Williamsburg, VA
Sand sounds like more work than its worth. I'll stick to gravel! :thm:

jadefoodog

AC Members
Dec 15, 2005
i know im new to it but sand just has mor personality to me . gravel allways looks flat but the sand in my tank forms small hills and dunes and little rifts all over the place because of the current.

my cories love the sand they will dig in and almost bury themselves im tempted to take my other corys out of their gravel tank and put them all in the sand tank

i may put them in my 5 gallon sand tank after it cycles. shouldt be long its usein a used filter

only thing ima use my gravel tank for is my plantign exsperiment

cant use sand in that tank cause its a small acrilic

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
i just swiched to sand because i have eels. i use very fine sand, which i don't like that much because i can't shuffle without making a mess. but if the sand would be like the one i use for my marine tank, which is not as fine, then that would be great. sand looks fancy. :dance:

jadefoodog

AC Members
Dec 15, 2005
i love my sand

you can see shadows of the fish and all of my fish seem to enjoy it more.
sure its more work but they are worth it.

i just moved all of my cories to my sand tank ill have to get some more shrimp for the gravel tank

evwn my tetras will go down and brush the sand

and my cories will waller their whole heads in the sand and dig around and kina halfway rollover in it

hondaman

Quisiera ser un fish!
Dec 15, 2005
New Jersey
This was a very interesting post. I have been toying with the idea of sand for my tank. But it does seem like a PITA to properly care for a sand tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store