Scared!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I've been stung plenty of times working at LFSs and it is not fun. The mystery rashes aren't that great either. The bottom lines is that you should wear gloves--for both you and your inhabitants.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Agreed, but if for some reason gloves are not an option at the time you must put your hands in the tank just make sure to rinse your hands/arms really good before putting them in the tank. I usually rinse my hands for 2-3 minutes (no soap) and just scrub them as good as I can.

Been stung by urchins, bristle worms, and anemones.. the urchin was the worst (didn't help it seemed to alway get right under my fingernails when it happened). Never been stung by a foxface or lion but I am always super cautious around those types of fish. I don't want to even think about how painful that would be. But like z28sseater's experience, my worst offender used to be my Maroon Clown. Would bite so hard it would make me bleed and scare me so much I would yank my hand out of the tank getting water all over and sometimes causing things to fall in the tank. It wasn't that it hurt that bad, it was just more of the shock of it because one second it is sitting happily in its anemone on the other side of the tank, next second taking a bite out of my hand.

Last edited:

kahlua

AC Members
Feb 11, 2010
haha thats crazy here I am worried and I have no fish yet!!
But I agree would like to avoid the mystery rashes lol

Troycool

Site's youngest EXPERT
Feb 5, 2010
Chula Vista, CA
mod please delete or close. this is a reposted thread

kahlua

AC Members
Feb 11, 2010
This one wasnt reposted it was the hitchhiker one. Amp already pulled that one hehe

Mustang Boy

AC Members
Aug 6, 2008
Tampa,FL
im currently setting up a predator tank that will house 1 leaf fish, 1 scorpion fish, and one dwarf lionfish and so far the thing i hate the most is moving rock around and feeling something slimey on it lol. although i am kinda curious to see how bad the sting is from these fish although i will never intentionally allow myself to get stung and yes i know im crazy and probably need mental help but who cares lol

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
I don't currently have gloves, but i do typically wear little baggies over my hands when handling my frags. At the moment I don't have too many things that can hurt me yet... but when I do, I'm totally going full gloves up the armpits!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store