Sciaenochromis fryeri

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
I was breeding these guys a while back and sold the fry to a friend of mine. When I set up my latest Rift tank, I was able to get a few of my fry back. This one is looking particularly nice for a 2”er and I thought I’d show him off a little. When I breed anything I like to see my fry after they’ve grown and since I usually sell them small, it’s rare that I get to. The pic is from the batch 6 weeks before this one, damn I wish I kept that one. The guy won’t give it up though lol

CE16997A-A74C-4E8F-8E10-476D74F1B442.jpeg

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Good looking fish. You keep tempting to fill up a few of my empty tanks (empty while I find the exact CA cichlid species I want) with Africans again. Must. Not. Give. In. Resist. Temptation.

WYite

Reactions: Sprinkle

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Good looking fish. You keep tempting to fill up a few of my empty tanks (empty while I find the exact CA cichlid species I want) with Africans again. Must. Not. Give. In. Resist. Temptation.

WYite
Thank you!
Haha, good luck, I’ve gone away from rifties a few times to try other stuff and as soon as I see a nice rift tank, the gears start turning on doing another. The final straw for my latest tank was when I went down to the cichlid shack to pick up my barracuda. I told my self, “ go in, grab the order and leave”. But it took him 15 minutes to catch them, by then i had browsed most of the shop and already had ideas. A few weeks later, I have this tank Lol

Reactions: Sprinkle

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Thank you!
Haha, good luck, I’ve gone away from rifties a few times to try other stuff and as soon as I see a nice rift tank, the gears start turning on doing another. The final straw for my latest tank was when I went down to the cichlid shack to pick up my barracuda. I told my self, “ go in, grab the order and leave”. But it took him 15 minutes to catch them, by then i had browsed most of the shop and already had ideas. A few weeks later, I have this tank Lol
Not going to happen, seriously. After about a half hour of thinking about what I could do with Africans in my open tanks, I started getting that same sinking feeling of dread I had at the end of my African days, thinking about stripping females and setting up egg tumblers and managing fry tanks and swapping fish between tanks until I had the right mix to manage aggression, etc., etc. I almost quit the hobby I was so burnt out. I enjoy having pairs in tanks that raise their own fry, that I can feed once a day and don't otherwise have to worry about if I'm tired or busy. I'm enjoying the livebearers that may eat their fry on occasion, but they don't typically harass each other to death in hours. I like my badids and community tanks. Maybe one tank for an occasional RV species I've never kept. But that's it. I'm enjoying the hobby again.

I'll be content to look at other folks' rifty tanks and admire from a distance, knowing I've already been there.

WYite

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Not going to happen, seriously. After about a half hour of thinking about what I could do with Africans in my open tanks, I started getting that same sinking feeling of dread I had at the end of my African days, thinking about stripping females and setting up egg tumblers and managing fry tanks and swapping fish between tanks until I had the right mix to manage aggression, etc., etc. I almost quit the hobby I was so burnt out. I enjoy having pairs in tanks that raise their own fry, that I can feed once a day and don't otherwise have to worry about if I'm tired or busy. I'm enjoying the livebearers that may eat their fry on occasion, but they don't typically harass each other to death in hours. I like my badids and community tanks. Maybe one tank for an occasional RV species I've never kept. But that's it. I'm enjoying the hobby again.

I'll be content to look at other folks' rifty tanks and admire from a distance, knowing I've already been there.

WYite
I get that, I started my latest breeding projects about a year ago, rainbow cichlids, fryeri and Xmas fulu. I wasn’t getting rich but I was making some side cash. But having all the fry tanks and maintaining all those groups kinda took the fun out of it for me. I enjoy watching my fish, I sit in front of them like a TV. and I didn’t enjoy watching my fry tanks lol I think I’m sticking with display tanks only.
Have you decided on any CA/SA cichlids? Nosferatu bartoni is one that I’ve been wanting, maybe if I can get the wife to agree to the 125 and let me keep the 55 ?

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Oh yeah, I have a list. I had hoped to have 80%+ of my tanks stocked, but first Covid-19 shut me down from going to Denver starting in March. Denver is the nearest place with decent freshwater or cichlid shops, and it's a 100 miles away. Then I lost all of last summer for ordering, because after I found out on June 1 that I was being laid off in September, I just wasn't comfortable spending extra money until I had a better feel on how everything was going to play out. After I realized that we were in good shape in October, it was too late in the year for me to order fish.

It's a pretty big list. A lot of the fish are species that other hobbyists have kept regularly for years. I've never kept them because I was so focused on rifties. Right now all I have is a pair of firemouths, a pair of Thorichthys helleri, a male dempsey and a pair of convicts. Some of the not so common species I want to get my hands on are Cryptoheros chetumalensis, Rheoheros lentiginosus, Rocio spinosissima, Amatitlania altoflava and Geophagus crassilabris. No Amphilophus and if I go with a Parachromis, it will be P. loisellei, which I think is the smallest species.

I've gotten a hold of a few different livebearers. Wild-type green swords, some Xiphophorous montezumae, and some Ameca splendens 'Rio Teuchitlan'. Badis badis and Dario dario, hoping to get a few more badids again. Everything else is run of the mill stuff. Tetras, danios, rasboras and a few cories. Last year was really messed up, lol.

WYite

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Oh yeah, I have a list. I had hoped to have 80%+ of my tanks stocked, but first Covid-19 shut me down from going to Denver starting in March. Denver is the nearest place with decent freshwater or cichlid shops, and it's a 100 miles away. Then I lost all of last summer for ordering, because after I found out on June 1 that I was being laid off in September, I just wasn't comfortable spending extra money until I had a better feel on how everything was going to play out. After I realized that we were in good shape in October, it was too late in the year for me to order fish.

It's a pretty big list. A lot of the fish are species that other hobbyists have kept regularly for years. I've never kept them because I was so focused on rifties. Right now all I have is a pair of firemouths, a pair of Thorichthys helleri, a male dempsey and a pair of convicts. Some of the not so common species I want to get my hands on are Cryptoheros chetumalensis, Rheoheros lentiginosus, Rocio spinosissima, Amatitlania altoflava and Geophagus crassilabris. No Amphilophus and if I go with a Parachromis, it will be P. loisellei, which I think is the smallest species.

I've gotten a hold of a few different livebearers. Wild-type green swords, some Xiphophorous montezumae, and some Ameca splendens 'Rio Teuchitlan'. Badis badis and Dario dario, hoping to get a few more badids again. Everything else is run of the mill stuff. Tetras, danios, rasboras and a few cories. Last year was really messed up, lol.

WYite
That’s quite the list, I know some of them but not all, that Cryptoheros chetumalensis reminds me of a cutteri which is one I’ve been itching to get for a while. Sorry to hear about the layoff. This last year has been a b****. I quit my job about a year ago because of Covid concerns, my wife has an immune disorder which put her at high risk. Guess I made the right call since I just found out everyone there but two people got Covid. But I’m fortunate that my wife works from home and does pretty good. But because of Covid, I’ve spent more on shipping than fish this year. I didn’t feel a fish justified the risk to my wife by going inside a store Fish keeping and 4wheeling have kept me sane lol But I’m definitely not near ready to retire. I don’t know a lot about live bearers except for the most common types.

Reactions: dudley

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
That's roughly half of my cichlid list, cutteri are on there, too.

When I figured out that I could retire comfortably, I decided why not. I can still get a job and make so much a year without being penalized. I can do something I enjoy with no stress. Or maybe never work again.

I'm high risk for Covid-19 due to COPD and a heart condition, but I still contracted it right before Thanksgiving in spite of all my precautions and lack of contact with people. I can honestly say I've had worse cases of the flu and was over it in 4 or 5 days. My wife is never sick and is healthy as a horse. She caught it at the same time I did and it knocked her on her butt for three weeks. I've never seen her so sick that she'd lay in bed for 20 hours a day, but she did for day after day for a good two weeks of that in the middle.

I hope your wife continues to be alright, and it's good she can work from home. Sorry you had to quit your job. Hopefully we get back to some semblance of normalcy soon and you can get back to work. Like you said, this last year has been rough...

WYite

Reactions: FishAddict74

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
That's roughly half of my cichlid list, cutteri are on there, too.

When I figured out that I could retire comfortably, I decided why not. I can still get a job and make so much a year without being penalized. I can do something I enjoy with no stress. Or maybe never work again.

I'm high risk for Covid-19 due to COPD and a heart condition, but I still contracted it right before Thanksgiving in spite of all my precautions and lack of contact with people. I can honestly say I've had worse cases of the flu and was over it in 4 or 5 days. My wife is never sick and is healthy as a horse. She caught it at the same time I did and it knocked her on her butt for three weeks. I've never seen her so sick that she'd lay in bed for 20 hours a day, but she did for day after day for a good two weeks of that in the middle.

I hope your wife continues to be alright, and it's good she can work from home. Sorry you had to quit your job. Hopefully we get back to some semblance of normalcy soon and you can get back to work. Like you said, this last year has been rough...

WYite
Nice!! You should post some pics when you start getting some of those cichlids.
Im 46 so I’m no where near retirement even though I’ve logged as many hours as if I worked til I was 60. I have the option to go back to work whenever I feel comfortable, so that’s cool. But I’ve been doing gig work on the side the last few years and my wife thinks I should just do that so I have more freedom, so we’ll see.
Sorry you guys got it but Glad you and your wife are ok, scary stuff. My friend and his wife got it and his was like a mild cold and she was fine until day 8 and then got extremely sick. But it’s looking like there’s light at the end of this crazy tunnel, so fingers crossed

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Nice!! You should post some pics when you start getting some of those cichlids.
Im 46 so I’m no where near retirement even though I’ve logged as many hours as if I worked til I was 60. I have the option to go back to work whenever I feel comfortable, so that’s cool. But I’ve been doing gig work on the side the last few years and my wife thinks I should just do that so I have more freedom, so we’ll see.
Sorry you guys got it but Glad you and your wife are ok, scary stuff. My friend and his wife got it and his was like a mild cold and she was fine until day 8 and then got extremely sick. But it’s looking like there’s light at the end of this crazy tunnel, so fingers crossed
I just turned 53, but I invested well and made a killing on one investment in particular. Thank God, actually. I didn't plan on this, I wanted to go until 62. But I've had no luck with finding a job, and even applied for several jobs just for insurance and was told I was over-qualified. This is actually a very bad age to get layed off. The reality is I'm too young to retire but too old to start a new career, and everybody knows it. On one hand I've been told I'm under-qualified, for stupid reasons, for jobs I'd have been hired for in a heartbeat ten years ago. On the other hand, I'm over-qualified for other jobs and won't find the job challenging, and therefore I need to find a job that is closer to my qualifications. Age isn't supposed to play a factor, you know, but when people see 29 years in my last job and all my experience, they can do the math and put me at least in my 50s. And nobody wants that guy unless they need that guy for a very specific reason. Not many folks looking for me as that specific guy.

Sorry, whined a bit. LOL. I hope you guys can get vaccinated before you have to mess with it. It is scary stuff. There's no rhyme or reason as to how bad it hits people. My wife and I are a perfect sample of that. I should have been the one who got really sick, not her.

WYite

Reactions: FishAddict74
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store