Science fair ideas?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Sounds pretty cruel to me. You could keep them in the same conditions and monitor their growth with certain foods instead. For example, feed one some foods, feed the other different kinds. Compare growth, behavior, color.
I would usually agree with this.

I do see an opportunity to possibly educate her fellow classmates, teachers, etc. about the true needs of goldfish though. It may sound ghastly... but maybe keeping one in a small bowl short-term and being able to document the impact of proper conditions could have some impact down the line. Be sure to mention or illustrate how large a full grown "feeder", "carnival" goldfish should get.

Agent_Scully

AC Oscar Club Member #1
Jul 9, 2008
Georgia
Yes I did take into consideration the quality of life of the goldfish in a bowl. I understand that it sounds cruel but it won't be permanent. He would get to live out the rest of his life in a beautiful pond. And my purpose is indeed to educate people on the proper care of goldfish.

Alan R

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Northeast Georgia
Again, i am going to be very unpopular for saying this. They are goldfish. feeder goldfish at that. Millions of them are kept in bowls, given away at carnivals, fed to other fish, and who knows what else. I don't think 1 more being put into a bowl for the sake of a kid who cares about the fish trying to educate people is going to really matter.
I could go on, but i won't.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Did your project include 'stool' samples?
no.

I chewed three pieces of gum, and placed each one into a jar of liquid. one jar was acidic (vinegar), one jar was neutral (water), and one was basic/alkaline. i would shake each one every day, and then once a week i would remove each piece of gum and weigh it to see how much mass was lost/dissolved/broken down.

of course, vinegar and daily shaking is nothing compared to stomach acids and actual digestion, but it proved my point well enough.

and now i swallow every piece of gum i chew.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store