Scott Peterson - Guilty!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Indigo

weeeeee
Sep 20, 2004
BC, Canada
I thought I would add my two cents... I'm not sure how it works in the US, but in Canada, we, the taxpayers, end up paying for prisons and their occupants. If this is also true in the US, why on earth would anyone want to pay room and board for a convicted (I stress convicted, don't want to get flamed from either side ;) ) murderer?

I agree that death is the 'easy' way out, but in today's prison system, its not exactly much of a punishment to have a warm cell, bedding, decent food, etc. I think some of the south american countries have it right, take a look at their prisons... Human rights for criminals be darned I say

Thats all I wanted to say, I like being the instigator of debate :D

Last edited:

gnahc79

AC Members
Feb 11, 2004
bay area
Visit site
I'm not getting into the death penalty debate :), but here's some more info:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/special_packages/laci_peterson/10412556.htm

Road to death is long and filled with appeals

By Jessie Seyfer and Howard Mintz

Mercury News

When a dozen jurors decided Monday that Scott Peterson should receive the death penalty, they bucked a national and statewide trend. But with a notoriously long appeals process and a massive backlog of inmates on death row, it's also a decision that may never be carried out.

The process takes so long, legal analysts said, that Peterson is far more likely to die of natural causes than from a lethal injection.

``The math is very simple,'' said former San Mateo County prosecutor Chuck Smith. ``We have 640 men on death row. We execute one person about every three years. He's at the very end of that group. He's going to die in prison.''

California has executed just 10 men since 1978, when the state restored capital punishment. During the same time, 22 condemned inmates have died of natural causes and 13 others have committed suicide. There hasn't been an execution in nearly three years. The average length of time spent on death row of the past three inmates executed was roughly 20 years. There are currently 644 inmates on death row.

Peterson's attorney, Mark Geragos, has already vowed to seek a new trial and to pursue ``every and all appeals,'' though it's almost certain that another attorney will handle those efforts because ineffective counsel is a typical issue for appeal.

Peterson's first appeal will be to the California Supreme Court. It is automatic under the law and often takes about eight years to be resolved. Peterson's appeals would then move through the federal appeals court system, up to the U.S. Supreme Court. If none of those efforts bears fruit, an execution date will be set. At that point, only the governor can step in to keep him alive.

But it might not get that far. A 2002 Mercury News review of California's death penalty system found that death sentences are often reversed for a range of problems, from incompetent defense lawyers to mistakes by trial judges. Since 1987, more than 80 death sentences have been overturned, including six this year.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has been particularly tough on the state's death sentences, frequently overturning cases despite the objections of the state's prosecutors, who consider the federal court too liberal. The 9th Circuit is usually the last word on the state's capital cases -- the U.S. Supreme Court has seldom intervened to spare a condemned inmate.

In the Peterson case, the initial appeal will focus on whether Geragos or Judge Alfred Delucchi made obvious errors. Legal experts who followed the trial closely didn't see glaring mistakes or decisions that were blatantly unfair to Peterson.

``I really don't think he's got much,'' Smith said. ``I think his strongest avenue is the removal of Juror No. 5.''

Smith was referring to the mysterious removal of the former Juror No. 5 -- onetime foreman Gregory Jackson -- who was kicked off the panel during guilt-phase deliberations for reasons that remain under court seal.

Improper removal of a juror is considered ``reversible error,'' Smith said, which means the verdict would have to be automatically reversed. Peterson's other possible error claims -- the inclusion of controversial dog-tracking evidence, for instance -- would probably be dismissed by higher courts as ``harmless,'' Smith said.

It's also possible that over the many years Peterson will spend on death row, the state will have abolished the death penalty, if jurors' increasing reluctance to choose it is any indication of public attitude.

A report released today by the Washington, D.C.-based Death Penalty Information Center shows that the number of people sentenced to death row has dropped by 50 percent nationwide since 1999. During that time, executions have fallen 40 percent.

In the late 1990s, California was seeing 30 to 35 death sentences per year. The rate is now in the teens, said Lance Lindsey, executive director of Death Penalty Focus, a San Francisco-based anti-death-penalty organization. The Peterson jury was the first San Mateo County jury to choose death since 1995. Prosecutors had tried -- and failed -- five times previously.

Lindsey attributed the change to the fact that capital cases have become so expensive for counties to take on -- San Mateo County's price tag is well into the millions -- that often counties won't bother. Also, increased publicity about wrongful convictions and individuals exonerated by DNA evidence has made juries more reluctant.

Some legal experts said that given these trends, as well as the facts in the Peterson case, they were especially surprised by the jury's decision.

``In a case like this, where there's no prior criminal history and a family that cares for the person, it's unheard of,'' said Oakland defense attorney and trial commentator Dan Horowitz. ``This is the least aggravated death penalty case I've ever seen.''

Delucchi will formally sentence Peterson on Feb. 25. The judge can overturn the death decision, but that's not considered likely.

Once Delucchi sentences Peterson, he will be transferred to San Quentin State Prison. And the long wait -- and the lengthy appeals process -- will begin.

The next California inmate slated to be executed is Donald Beardslee, a San Mateo double murderer who has exhausted his appeals and could be put to death as early as February. He was sentenced to die in 1984.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
aquariumfishguy said:
Fortunately (or unfortunately), we cannot use that method for "removal". For if we did, our country would be known as one huge delusion of grandeur

What are you talking about?
:confused:

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Indigo said:
...If this is also true in the US, why on earth would anyone want to pay room and board for a convicted (I stress convicted, don't want to get flamed from either side ;) ) murderer?
Because legal costs are so high, it is almost always more expensive to execute someone than it is to give them a life sentence. This is all in the name of a fair trial by jury. It sounds off, I know, but that is how our system is. It costs more execute, so it makes for an even stronger case against execution in general for those who do not favor it.

Besides, many people in prison might be making the things you commonly use. Despite depictions in the movies of people 'rotting in jail', many occupants are active - both in the prison and in the community. I say good for them, if they can be somewhat productive, cost us as less money as possible, and still be punished behind bars for their life, go for it.

geoffgarcia

AC Members
Apr 22, 2004
dwayne said:
Geoff, you don't make sense!

If you think being someone's beeotch is so revolting and worse than death then it follows suit that Peterson deserves it.
Tara, I understand what your saying, and I can understand from your post that you have no clue what I'm saying.

All I'm saying is that to wish "being someones beeotch" on someone - is revolting. Its quite simple...

aquariumfishguy said:
anybody who thinks it is revolting to wish for Scott to be "taken care of" within prison walls, yet finds it perfectly ok to wish death on someone (however horrible they might be), is a hypocrite IMO.
if your referring to me (not sure you are, but just in case) - I'm against the death penalty...so there is nothing hypocritical in my stance.

labont865

This is drako, a friend of a friend
Nov 26, 2004
Bureau of Justice Statistics figures from a few years ago showed that it cost $16,000 per year to keep a prisoner in state or federal prison. Hidden and indirect expenses to taxpayers may inflate this figure to $20,000 or $25,000 per year. I know a single death penalty costs more but that is only because they let people sit on death row for years and years.
if somebody is found guilty and sentenced to death they should be executed within one year. Give them one year to appeal and that is it. This would drop the cost by huge amounts. And as somebody else said "**** human rights for murderers" they didnt respect the human rights of the person they killed why should we respect theirs. And whats worse is somebody who can kill a PREGNANT woman. In the case where children are brought into the picture, I think anybody who can commit a crime(murder,rape,molestation,etc) against a child should be executed with no questions asked. Once found guilty I think the execution should be carried out immediately.

It may not be the popular opinion but it is my opinion. I am one who is definately pro capital punishment.

Last edited:

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Actually, the fact that someone could be waiting to be executed for 10-20 years is not where all the costs associated with the death penalty come from. Appeals, and hearings after conviction can quickly rack up the bill. The January 5, 1997 Miami Herald estimated that the true cost of each execution is approximately $3.2 million, or roughly six times the cost of a life imprisonment sentence.

Many of us who are against capital punishment are so because of how many innocents are put to death. Since the late 1700's, here in America, it is estimated that up to 65% of all those who have been executed might have been innocent on death row. Even more alarming (get this...), since 1973, at least 88 people have been released from death row after evidence of their innocence came forward. A simple case of wrong place, wrong time can mean death for somebody... and that is wrong. If our system cannot get it right, they shouldn't have the ability to kill via a death sentence.

---And then there are those who believe human beings shouldn't have the right to kill another person as a form of "punishment" (perhaps one could argue this separates humans from animal like behaviors).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store