scratches on outside of tank wall... oops!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

donald432

AC Members
Jan 28, 2010
california
it's my own fault, there was a small splotch of something on there that my compulsive behavior would not allow to exist, and i stupidly hit it with the wrong side of the sponge.

now there is a fuzzy array of scratches that stands out like a crackhouse in a wealthy neighborhood. is there anything that can be done to remove the scratches and restore the tank to its former glory?

it is a very small (maybe 2 gallons?) plastic aquarium, it holds three fancy guppies which are very small and vibrant. the blurry scuff mark saddens me.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Since it is only 2g, I'd suggest just replacing it or upgrading.

Hellbore

AC Members
Aug 31, 2010
Well, plastic can be polished.... not sure how though. Google it. I know it can be done.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
for that small a tank it's not worth the effort and expenditure to buff out the scratches. just invest in a new small tank and make it a glass one, it'll look so much better than plastic!

then save the plastic one for a qt tank.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
I know how you feel. Since the tank is already set up and sitting there what can you do simple and free to polish the scuff marks back out. Take clean old cotton T-shirt small rag and place some plain white fine toothpaste on it (not the stuff with speckles & sparkles) and with a little water make it like a paste-wax and hand buff it a little everyday and the fuz will disappear. One good thing about scratches on the outside whether glass or plastic you can work on them while the tank is full a little-bit here and there and before you know it the scratch is gone.

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
I know how you feel. Since the tank is already set up and sitting there what can you do simple and free to polish the scuff marks back out. Take clean old cotton T-shirt small rag and place some plain white fine toothpaste on it (not the stuff with speckles & sparkles) and with a little water make it like a paste-wax and hand buff it a little everyday and the fuz will disappear. One good thing about scratches on the outside whether glass or plastic you can work on them while the tank is full a little-bit here and there and before you know it the scratch is gone.
Awesome tip!

Pharaoh

epitome of obsession
Apr 2, 2009
Real Name
Bobby
Yep, if the toothpaste doesn't work. A $5 bottle of Novus polish should do the trick.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store