Seachem Acid Buffer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Yes, these are the Tucanoichthys tucano from the other thread.

Ok, so I'll just keep adding DW to the tank to reach 2 dKH. It's going to take a lot of DW to get there!
I live in Chicagoland, so I don't want to use rainwater as I'm sure it is heavily contaminated.
I'm amazed that some fish live in near zero KH/GH environment. I'm actually amazed that this exists in the wild actually. I wonder what the TDS is for that water. Do you know your TDS? I'll look for the leaves you mentioned. I think my Petsmart has some.
The wood alone will not likely do much to the GH and pH. Diluting with some form of "pure" water is the best method. Then the wood and leaves will help keep things stable.

Natural habitat water conditions are far removed from what many of us assume. In all the test numbers that I have seen for South American streams and creeks, the GH and KH is zero or at most 1 dGH and the TDS are extremely low. The pH does vary, depending upon the water course; some run around 4, others higher.

I've no idea on my TDS, but I asssume it is fairly low. The tap water is probably close to the water in Amazonia to begin with (chlorine will add TDS obviously), except my pH is around 7; they add soda ash (sodium carbonate) for corrosion control as the natural pH is around 5 (this used to be what came out of the taps until 2000 when the ash began) for corrosion control, but this either dissipates out or with the biological balance in the tanks it quickly lowers. Even in my tanks with the pH at 5 or below, doing a 50% water change only raises the pH by about 0.2 or 0.3 and this does not last more than a few minutes. It certainly makes water changes easier when I can use the tap water without any adjustments other than dechlorinator as there is a lot of chlorine.

Byron.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Well, after adding lots of distilled water my tank is now at 3 for both KH and GH. Unfortunately the pH only went down to 7.4. I will let it be for a week or two and see if the KH, GH, and pH stay the same. I was hoping the pH would be in the 6 range with the soft water condition now.

Here's a FTS.

photo.JPG

In preparation for breeding, I put in a divider. The right side for them to scatter the eggs and hopefully for the fry to grow enough there to move to the left side or in my main tank. I have a tiny HOB on the right side as well as the canister inlet. The canister outlet is on the left side. This should create negative pressure on the right side to keep clean water flowing into the right side. I also have a small HOB on the left side as well, so 2 HOBs and a small canister.

Left side:

photo2.JPG

Right side:

photo3.JPG

If the pH doesn't go below 7, I may put my CPD pair in the right side as they seem ready to breed now. I'll have to look for some leaves to see if that will lower the pH... Or I'll just wait 6 months and see if the pH slowly drifts lower as the tank ages.

photo.JPG photo2.JPG photo3.JPG

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
That is a good setup. And I would give it time. Leaves are useful for this too; I add them to one of my tanks and the pH went much lower.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Thanks. I went to best shop around (Aquarium Adventure) but they didn't have any leaves. Guess I'll try online. Anyone know which one works well (store bought type)?

Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store