Seachem Flourish Excel

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CinnamonPearl

Professional Whovian
May 19, 2013
Long Island, NY
Is it true that seachem flourish excel will cause hornwort to melt? I use it in my 38 gallon and want to add hornwort, but not if it'll just kill the hornwort.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I don't know about hornwort, but there are some plants that just don't tolerate it at all. Subwassertang certainly is one. That said, my peacock moss, bacopa, and java fern all love it.

I'd dose some, and keep an eye on it, and if it seems to degrade after the dosing, then you'll know, and can put it into a different tank.

Last edited:

Dobber

AC Members
Jan 30, 2005
Madison, WI
I'm using it every other day with an amazon sword, golden lloydiella, red wendtii, rotala and most recently narrow leaf microsword....the lloydiella isn't growing like it probably should but has shown signs of new growth...the other stuff seems to be doing great with it.

tbonedeluxe

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Chicago,Il
Just watch the amount you dose in your tank.
Keep a close eye on your hornwort and all of your other plants too.
The recommended dose is every other day.Some folks dose more frequently
to control algae. Good luck. I have never had a problem with my subwassertang while dosing excel.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
Hornwort and Vals are two plants that will melt from a full dose of it. You can try a half dose if you do get some hornwort and see what happens. You may be able to increase it to a full dose if the hornwort acclimates to the Excel after awhile. I have done that with Vals in the past.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I may go less then half. Excel has some kind of algaecide in it, and some plants just do not do well with it (hornwort being one).

Try about 1/3 normal dosing, or less.

CinnamonPearl

Professional Whovian
May 19, 2013
Long Island, NY
I'm just going to take the hornwort out so I can keep dosing as I was. It doesn't look that nice in my tank anyways. My koi will love it.

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
I may go less then half. Excel has some kind of algaecide in it, and some plants just do not do well with it (hornwort being one).

Try about 1/3 normal dosing, or less.
Yup, it IS an algaecide. Glutaraldehyde is used to sterilize medical equipment so the side effect of being an algaecide also carries over to more primitive plant forms like vals. Not sure about hornwort.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store