SeaWorld trainer killed by whale

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
you know with so many different stories going around, im not sure if i want to read those links...

Ive heard that the trainer was carried in by the hair, arm, leg,and fell in and attacked.

JamieB

JamieB
Oct 9, 2005
currently in another Orbit
I feel bad for the whales, they put them in these small tanks and have their trainers ride their noses, lick their tongues jump in the air all for what? These are beautiful wild mamals and they deserve to live a free and healthy life without man putting them on exibit for everyone to watch & have their staff parade on top of them for a day 3-4 hour long show day after day! Totally isolating them from their natural habitat.

Last edited:

halfmoonplakat

AC Members
Nov 7, 2009
I've read on AOL and in the metro (lol a Canadian newspaper) that she was dragged in through her ponytail; she left it dangling in the water and the orca thought that it was a new toy, so it dragged her in and thought she was part of the toy. When the other trainers tried to save her, it thought they were trying to tae the toy away from it so it got even more violent

guppymill

AC Members
Jan 10, 2010
Victoria, BC Canada
When I was a kid, I fed that whale, Tillikum, when he lived at Sea World of the Pacific in Victoria, BC, where I'm from. It was my birthday and I got to take part in the show. I got to stand on the trainers' platform and wave my arms around to tell him to dance. Then I got to feel his tongue and then give him some fish.

I remember when the young trainer was killed in Victoria.

Bart G

AC Members
Jan 15, 2010
Wow, that's nuts!

I feel bad for all the kids that saw it happen. That must have been terrifying. I wonder where they ship the whale to now? That guy is wearing out his welcome all over the continent! I suggest a reality TV show where they throw money in the tank with Tillikum and stupid people jump in and try to grab it before he kills them. That would be great!

halfmoonplakat

AC Members
Nov 7, 2009
They are not getting rid of the whale as they say that its an integral member of the 8-whale pod
Also they are blaming it on her ponytail to avoid a lawsuit, methinks

sorberj

wannabe fish whisperer
Sep 14, 2009
McCleary, WA
Real Name
Jerad
I've seen what those whales can do to sea-lions, seals, salmon, etc. These creatures, while majestic and beautiful, are not exactly what one would call an inherently peaceful animal. They are top predators and need to be respected as such.

Pearl

AC Members
Aug 12, 2009
Michigan
Real Name
Vicki
Just because orcas can't get out of the water and run us down doesn't mean they can't be as dangerous as lions, tigers and bears. Based on everything I've read about this tragedy, it seems that this poor woman turned her back on this large predator because she was on "dry land" and therefore thought she was safe.

JamieB

JamieB
Oct 9, 2005
currently in another Orbit
Sorry,I did not mention the tragic loss of Life in my post reply yesterday for the trainer at Sea World on 2/24/10. I was very upset for last couple days from all the blame that was going towards the whale at work and among family ,friends. The death of the trainer was such a very tragic needless loss of a human life I just do not under stand why we have to force these mammals to do things so contrary to their natural envirionment and have them suffer on a daily basis whether it be from lack of socialization with their own species or their own natural habitat. If there keeping area were filled with a real envirionment with plants and see creatures and other species interacting I could see peolpe going to learn and get up close enough to enjoy an exhibit. I do not understand the daily parading around a tank at the behest of a traininer to show man was meant to kiss,feed, and ride the animal as part of it's natural environment. I would like to see Sea Word do the right thing here and once and for all end the daily slave trainer routines and just keep an aquarium exhibit for people to enjoy and learn the wonderful life & beauty of these creatures and how dangerous and predictable a one on one close contact event could be so unecessary.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store