seeding a sponge filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
How long would you leave a sponge filter in your main tank
to get seeded?
Would a week be enough or 2 weeks? I'd love to get my 40b going already and I still
haven't gotten a canister yet. Just not sure which one I want, probably an Eheim 2215, but I figured till then I have a sponge filter I can get it started with.

ravenpb226

AC Members
May 10, 2010
North Beach, MD
Real Name
Allen
I left mine in for a week and a half, I put it in the new tank yesterday and I'll be putting some fish in today so I'll give a heads up if there's any issues

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I would do a minimum of 2 weeks. You can also take some of your substrate from a cycled tank and put it in a pantyhose ( to keep it from spreading into your new substrate...but will let the bacteria out). I usually do both...substrate and a cycled sponge or media.

flyinggig

AC Members
Jan 7, 2012
Trinity Bay, Newfoundland and Labrador
Real Name
Greg
I'm not sure if this would help, but maybe you could take some filter "squeezings" from your main tank filter right on the filter sponge to speed up the process.
+1 iheartbettas
This would be a much faster method of establishing a BB colony into your new tank IMO. Squeeze them right into your new tank and let the sponge pick up all the good 'juices'. I wouldn't trust that One or two weeks would have cycled your new sponge sufficiently to handle much of a bio-load.

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
Thank you all:) I've never done this before, usually I have the filter already. Until I get it
I'll use a mix of what everyone said here.
stephcps, I'm going to use the gravel like you said. I guess between that and some "good juice" from
my other filter ought to do it. I'm figuring you have to put some fish in there to keep things going.
Am I thinking this right? I have some rasbora's I can put in there, which I was probably going to do anyways.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Yes, you need to put some fish in there. What I usually do is put a few in, check parameters for a few days if all looks good, then slowly start adding your other stock. Watch your params, but if you go slow you should be fine.

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
Yes, you need to put some fish in there. What I usually do is put a few in, check parameters for a few days if all looks good, then slowly start adding your other stock. Watch your params, but if you go slow you should be fine.
Awsome thank you!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store