Seeds causing some sort of jelly?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DenDen

Registered Member
Feb 18, 2022
Hi everyone :)

Am a newbie, started with guppies and about 6 weeks in and doing good. All alive and one gave birth (didn't know it was pregnant lol. They were all supposed to be female) so 3 fish turned into about 20.

Basically, I wanted to enrich their environment. I got a good size tank but being low on cash I don't really have the money at the moment to splurge on lots of new live plants and rocks/driftwood like I'd like to. So, i do have a few live plants that I've had since starting my tank and a few rocks but that's it at the moment.
So, I saw on ebay, that you can buy underwater "grass" or grass-like plant seeds to form a mat on the floor. I thought, awesome, I'll buy that and it'll create a mat, or even if just 5% works and it creates a little extra life and colour. So I bought the seeds... there weren't any instructions so I thought ok hopefully I just put it in the water and they'll sink and eventually some will propagate.

Buuuut. It does sink, but also creates a slime/jelly. At first I thought I was discovering some kind of problem with the seeds getting caught in some invisible jelly but I soon realized that the seeds CAUSE the jelly. After cleaning out all the jelly and then putting more seeds in the water, I dunked my finger in water where there werent any seeds floating on the top (because the seeds float for a while before sinking) and nothing, normal water. I dunk my finger in the middle of the seeds and it's jelly. File attached to show what I'm talking about.
So... i know im an idiot, but can someone explain what's going on exactly and what I'm doing wrong? If there's any additional info you need let me know and sorry for the dumb question. This is basically my first hiccup so far. Oh and obviously, will this jelly hurt my fish, should i wait it out or get it out asap?

20220219_015546.jpg

Last edited:

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Seeds sold online aren't true aquatic, unfortunately. It's a scam/gimmick. They'll rot underwater eventually.

Id scrap them all to be safe.

Very rarely do aquatic plants have actual seeds, and most do not sell them in the hobby on sales sites.

I would suggest, if looking for a cheap alternative buying plants, look to hobbyists on sites like Craigslist, kijiji, or Facebook marketplace near you. Hobbyists are usually cheaper than stores and online

Reactions: DenDen and dudley

DenDen

Registered Member
Feb 18, 2022
Seeds sold online aren't true aquatic, unfortunately. It's a scam/gimmick. They'll rot underwater eventually.

Id scrap them all to be safe.

Very rarely do aquatic plants have actual seeds, and most do not sell them in the hobby on sales sites.

I would suggest, if looking for a cheap alternative buying plants, look to hobbyists on sites like Craigslist, kijiji, or Facebook marketplace near you. Hobbyists are usually cheaper than stores and online
Oh woowww haha. Well that sucks I guess. I assume the jelly will eventually become toxic to the fish... I tried to get as much out as possible but there are a dozen or so small parts left over that are too hard to scoop out, when I try to it breaks into smaller pieces.
Is there a product you can buy? Like an anti... fungal? Or anti algae maybe? I really have no clue what this jelly (and the eventual rot) will be made out of in order to know what product to buy to make sure my fish aren't poisoned.
I know I probably should go the extra length and clean everything manually but i don't want to disturb the fish, especially the week-old fry, so I'm hoping there's just a product that I can buy that'll fix the small remains from getting worse, instead of the toothbrush method.

Thanks in advance :)

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
You might be able to siphon out the remaining jelly like substance with a hose and bucket.

Reactions: DenDen

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
It's most likely bacterial, and harmless to fish/inverts.

just darned ugly.

Syphoning should work fine, but fish or shrimp will enjoy it as a snack also, its not likely to hang around once you have livestock in there... it's common on wood and stuff too.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Yeah thinking the jelly is just a biofilm, which is generally harmless. A lot of organic items will produce biofilm in tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store