Semi aggresive fish for schooling?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a semi-aggresive fish to promote schooling for my Neon Tetras but not enough to kill them or do damage.

I'm looking for something for the upper layer or the bottom layer of the tank.

I have a 38g heavily planted with:

1 Pearl Gourami
10 Neon Tetras
7 Black Neons Tetras
2 Bolivian Rams
and a BN Pleco

Let me know your ideas. Thanks!

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
Does it have to me semi-aggressive fish? Just not sure how the fish you have fill cope with fish that are a little nippy

homedog98

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
Ga
mytankbuilds1.webs.com
Real Name
Lauren
Umm... I personally wouldn't add anything else. Any idea the sexes of yur rams? If they're male & female they could form a pair, which will put them in semi-aggressive mode.

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
My rams are a pair, and they've bred before but they're not aggressive.

I don't need a semi-aggressive fish, but was more looking for something to coax my fish to school.

If I don't find a suitable tankmate, I'd probably just end up getting 7-10 more Neons.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
Neons usually don't need an aggressive fish to school, just one larger than them. It seems that you already have that. Perhaps you just have a brave group of neons?

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
I think that might be the case as my Pearl Gourami gets pretty aggressive but doesn't seem to make them school.

If anybody have any ideas on what else to add?

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
More tetras?

Plague

O.o
Aug 4, 2010
Miami, Fl
How long have you had the tetras? I've kept schools of neon rainbows and neon tetras which supposedly school tight. Thing is, after a year of keeping them, they start to learn your routines and other fishes temperaments. Because of this they started to school loosely for me and would only school tight if I was doing a water change or my hand was in the tank for some reason.

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
I've had the Neons for about 6 months now if I remember correctly. I think they just got used to everything, which means I guess they're comfy in the tank :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store